Stamping after h1 transfer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamping after h1 transfer ?

I have been working in US since 2007 on H1B and last month i changed my employer and so got my H1B transferred.
    Do i need to get VISA stamped when i go out of the country?

My I-94 expires on Oct 2009.

Please advise.

Many thanks,
    Sumit

Hi Sumit,

I-94 needs to be given to the airlines people/concerned authorities while going out of US.
    So - if you are having a Valid Visa stamped in your passport then you can go out and come back with the same Visa.
    Also u need to carry the I-797 approval notice with you when u come back - because at the POE when u come back .
    , Immigration officer will give u new I-94 on the basis of your I-797.

So , its a H1 Visa and I-797 which governs whether you can RE-ENTER US or not.
    Once u have entered -then I-94 comes into picture which governs how long u can stay in US.

---Abhay

Comment

Thanks for the response Abhay.
      so, if i understood correctly I dont need to go to the US Consulate for another stamping as long as i have I 797 (from the new employer) .

Correct me if i'm wrong.

- Sumit

Comment

Hi Sumit,

You are right - u need to have I-797 from ur new employer and a valid visa (even if it is from ur previous employer - it doesn't matter but it should be valid) to enter US again.
        If u have above TWO - then u don't need to go to Consulate for stamping.

--Abhay
        ==========================================
        Senior Members -please confirm the same

Comment

Thanks Abhay. I have asked the same question from my employers attorney - i'll wait to see what they say, I don't wanna take any chances.
          I'll post their comments to the same thread.

Thanks a ton for your help!
          Sumit

Comment

If you have a valid visa for the ex-employer, no new stamp is needed. Just the I797 with visa will be fine.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X