To obtain SSN when status changed from H4 toH1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To obtain SSN when status changed from H4 toH1

I have received my H1 approval notice from USCIS in First week of SEP 2008, my employer told me to goto Social Security offce to apply for SSN . But they asked me for DHS(I766 and/or I688) .Which was confusing , Kindly let me know what documents are need to get SSN and is this proper time to apply for SSN ( since H1 is actiavted from OCT 1) .

You need the I797 + i-94 to show H1b date and status. If it was a COS, they will not accept your application until Oct 1st which is when you are eligible for SSN.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Normally SSA accepts applications on or after Oct 1st as your new I-94 effective from that date. There is .1% chance that your application will be accepted before Oct 1st.

You need to carry your approved petition and new I-94 to apply for SSN .

Sometimes, SSA officer gets confused due to their limited knowledge.

If next time they deny then try to explain your case.They might talk to their immediate supervisor to make sure you are fine to apply. (This is a real experience one of my friends had while applying SSN on L2+EAD)
      I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Consult professionals before getting into an action.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X