Leapfrog? What the heck is that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leapfrog? What the heck is that?

After answering may be a 1000+ posts on leapfrog, I swore today that I am not going to reply to any of the famous leapfrog crap and this would be my very last post on it.

What the heck is leapfrog? Nothing but a simple interpretation of the last action rule. An attorney on some forum used this word and the leapfrog fever started.

What is last action rule? As per the immigration law, when a person has a change in status or any action on the immigration status of the individual, the action that was taken last on the person is one that takes precedence.

For all those H1b COS applicants that have an approved petition, the last action should be read as the effective date of the last action. Even if you had the H1b approved as a COS in May, the effective last action date is Oct 1st and your status changes on that day and becomes active as a H1b.

What does leapfrog do? Nothing but asks a person to leave the country prior to their entry on new status (to not accumulate unauthorized stay on H1b without pay or work on L1 past Oct 1st), enter again on or after Oct 1st and ensure that they get a new I-94 with their desired status.

Whether they can go to Canada or Mexico or Antarctica is their choice! If you want to travel by air or land or use a hot air balloon again is your choice. Period. If you get a new I-94, it works fine. If not, you are screwed.

Hope it helps and there goes my frustration!

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Leapfrog : How to make sure that new I-94 will be issued.

Hi ,

I am also in same situation . I am going on 30 Sept to mexico and coming back in 2nd Oct. But what i understand that i may come back on oct 1st also it self . Please confirm .

I have one question that please suggest that how should i corss the border so that i will net new i-94 . As i heard that if i cross border by foot then no one will check and take my i-94 .
    -If my I-94 is not taken when i go to mexico then is there any way i can get new I-94 ?

Please suggest.

Comment

txh1b,

This needs to be a "sticky" since most posters don't bother searching the thread archive.

Comment

hi vinay, whr ru going in mexico ..even iam planning to visit mexico for leap frog...

Comment

Leapfrog: How to make sure that we will get new i-94

Hi,

I am really scared by reading the posts .

- What if i dont get new I-94 while returning from Mexico .
          - How to make sure that i can get new I-94.
          - Can i cancel my H1B with the help of employer before Oct 1st.

Its very urgent pls suggest.

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks txh1b.
            I still do not have an aprroved H1B. The status in USCIS website is still pending. I'm going to Pak on 25 Sept and will retun on Oct 12.

Will my travel during the pending H1 void the COS ? Can I enter on L1 on Oct 12?

Comment

Originally posted by hikes
              Thanks txh1b.
              I still do not have an aprroved H1B. The status in USCIS website is still pending. I'm going to Pak on 25 Sept and will retun on Oct 12.

Will my travel during the pending H1 void the COS ? Can I enter on L1 on Oct 12?
              I think you can definitely come on L1 Visa on Oct 12.

Comment

hi vinay mail me at [email protected]. we talk..

Comment

A few questions

Originally posted by txh1b
                  After answering may be a 1000+ posts on leapfrog, I swore today that I am not going to reply to any of the famous leapfrog crap and this would be my very last post on it.

What the heck is leapfrog? Nothing but a simple interpretation of the last action rule. An attorney on some forum used this word and the leapfrog fever started.

What is last action rule? As per the immigration law, when a person has a change in status or any action on the immigration status of the individual, the action that was taken last on the person is one that takes precedence.

For all those H1b COS applicants that have an approved petition, the last action should be read as the effective date of the last action. Even if you had the H1b approved as a COS in May, the effective last action date is Oct 1st and your status changes on that day and becomes active as a H1b.

What does leapfrog do? Nothing but asks a person to leave the country prior to their entry on new status (to not accumulate unauthorized stay on H1b without pay or work on L1 past Oct 1st), enter again on or after Oct 1st and ensure that they get a new I-94 with their desired status.

Whether they can go to Canada or Mexico or Antarctica is their choice! If you want to travel by air or land or use a hot air balloon again is your choice. Period. If you get a new I-94, it works fine. If not, you are screwed.

Hope it helps and there goes my frustration!
                  Good that you got this out of your system. But I suspect if people will read this before posing the same Leapfrog questions a million times - I think they would not.
                  When you say it asks a person to leave the country do you imply this event should happen before Oct 1st. If one stays past Oct 1st (lets say till Oct 10) and then travels outside the country, does it make sense for him/her to still get a "desired" status (especially if the desired status is not the new H1, but the previous Visa like L1)?
                  Rgds,
                  MN

If you feel the above comment is outdated/invalid/incorrect, please correct me.

Comment

travel during COS

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate it if anyone can answer my query. I have a valid L1 visa, but my employer is applying for H1B visa this year (Apr 2009). What I would like to know is, can I travel out of the country once I get the approval for H1B and come back to the US before Oct1? I would still have a valid L1 visa. Would my H1B application become void if I do this?

Please reply.

Thank you very much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X