Can my parents hire me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my parents hire me?

Hi. My parents are green card holders and have been running a financial services business for the last 10 years. I have a B1/B2 visa and had come to visit them 3 times in the last 7 years.

My concern though is that they are getting old and told me that they need me here to watch over the business and learn it and watch over their properties. They needed someone they can trust.

I know family related petition takes 10 or so years. Is there a way they can petition me instead as their worker with a non-immigrant status?

They can petition for a H1b.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
      They can petition for a H1b.
      Hi. TY for the reply. I'm currently in the states with them. Should I exit first before they request for H1B or can the request be done while I'm here.

Comment

They must file April 1, 2009 for the lottery with start date of Oct 1, 2009. Yes, you will have to leave and wait for petition to be approved. You must have a BS degree and the position that they want you to fill must require it.

They probably should work with an attorney. Are you single or married? If you are single they should have filed for your green card. You may have trouble getting an employment based green card due to the labor certification process.

Had they become citizens, there would be more options.

Comment

Originally posted by C4us
          They must file April 1, 2009 for the lottery with start date of Oct 1, 2009. Yes, you will have to leave and wait for petition to be approved. You must have a BS degree and the position that they want you to fill must require it.

They probably should work with an attorney. Are you single or married? If you are single they should have filed for your green card. You may have trouble getting an employment based green card due to the labor certification process.

Had they become citizens, there would be more options.
          Yes, I am married and have a BS degree but I doubt they will hire me for my degree since they can locally outsource an equivalent. They are in financial business and they do mortgages, loans, mutual funds, insurance, long term cares, etc. They have a few thousand clients that they have serviced for years and we know that in this industry TRUST is a big thing for clients. They want me to know their clients well since I would be servicing them when they retire.

Also what other options do they have when they are CITIZEN? I know they will have their oath taking in 2 years so I might as well know their possible options.
          Last edited by Gen; 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

When they are a citizen, they can file for you as married adult child which would include your spouse and minor children. The delay can be quite long depending on your country of birth. Look at the USCIS webside about family sponsored green cards for information.

The H1B does not have the same labor certification requirement as a green card. They do not have to prove there is no local talent for H1B while they do for a green card. There are issues in hiring family members.

Your best option that I know of given the limited amount I know of your situation would be for your wife to become qualified in the field. You could then remain in US in H1B/H4 for a total of 12 years.

They really need to speak with an attorney with experience in immigration and business. There may be some options that are available that are not often discussed. Your and their situation is too complex for the forum.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X