Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed On Status Clarification

Hi,

I am on OPT right now, which expires on Dec 14, 2008. I got my H1 approved this year through Company A. I have applied H1 transfer to Company B on premium processing, and I should get the result in a day or two.

If my H1 transfer gets rejected, can I work for Company A, or will I go back to my OPT status? Company A knows that I have applied for H1 transfer.

What will be my status if the H1 transfer approval decision gets delayed beyond Oct 1, 2008?

OPT is invalid after a COS to H1b was approved from the H1b start date irrespective of it's expiry date. You have to work for A or use AC21 H1b portability provision and start working for the new company. Discuss your options with your lawyer. That is why they are getting paid.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

status question

assuming your H-1B is a Change of status effective Oct. 1, 2008, you are in F-1 status until that time...and the I-94 attached at the bottom of your I-797 approval notice changes your status to H-1B as of 10/01/2008, right?

OPT is not a status, it is just authorization from your school to engage in practical training. I assume you have an EAD card valid to 10/1/08 or more.

If the 2nd H-1B "transfer" is rejected, you still become H-1B as of Oct. 1, 2008 assuming you are working as described in the first H-1B petition filed on your behalf (not only "can you work for employer A, I think you have to in order to maintain H-1B status).

Hope this helps.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X