Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221g and passport expiry - URGENT

Hi,

I went for H1B stamping when my passport still had seven months validity. I got the approval today and need to submit my passport. However, in the 10 weeks it has taken for processing, my passport is now valid only for 5 months. Will this be a problem in issuance of visa now? Will I have to renew passport and then go back?

Please advise.
    Thanks

Aaah! Ouch!

Yes you may most probably have an issue here as they may refuse to stamp your passport if its not valid for at least six months.

Its in your best interest to have your passport renewed/apply for another, and then go for stamping, together with your old cancelled and new issues passports.

Take care.

Comment

Great! finally you got the clearance! I think you will have to renew the passport..This shouldn't take a long time..Get the tatkal service and get it done quickly..This will help you also at POE..passport expiration date vs I-94..

Comment

Got it

hi,

I got the passport stamped even though there were only 4.5 months remaining on the passport. However, at the port of entry, I received an I-94 valid only till expiry date on the passport.

I will now need to extend my passport and then renew the I-94. Any information in this regard will be very helpful. Do I have to exit and re-enter the country or can I extend from inside itself??

Thanks for help in the past and now.

Comment

Yes Ajaktha!
          After you get your new passport, you will need to go out of country and re-enter to get a new I-94 with extended date. This time your I-94 will show the validity date in correspondence with your new H1b visa stamp.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Biochemist.

Comment

IMP - Deferred Inspection

Hi,

I just called the CBP office that handles Deferred Inspection and they told me that if I bring my renewed passport and all the other documents, they can change the date on my I-94. Its not necessary to make the trip outside the country.
              For a list of these offices use this link:

Hope this helps others too.

Comment

It depends on the CBP office. Not all of them do it that way.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X