• Show
Clear All

• H1 extension

I am currently on H1 visa.

Following are my duration of stay in the US
    L1-A visa - from Nov '03 to Nov'04 - 1 year
    L1-A visa - from April '05 to sep '05 - 6 months
    H1-B visa - from oct '05 till sep '08 - 3 years

My company has filed for an H1 extension in July '08 and that petition was only approved till 07/30/2009. Since my overall duration of stay in the US has been only 4 years 8 months till date, I was a little surprised to see the approval come in only till July 2009. Can someone clarify this? Is this because of the 240 day rule?

Please advise, as I am trying to change jobs and feel that my chances of getting one will be limited because of the visa petition validity date. Thanks.

What about the 240 day rule? The lawyer filing the extension should clearly document the period in US substantiating with documentary evidence of entry/exit stamps on the passport. Your lawyer can file another extension and reclaim any period left in the 6 years during your transfer.

Also note periods spent outside on vacations while holding H1b can be re-captured.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X