H1B visa expiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa expiring

I have a Master's in Math Stat & Computer(combination of all 3) from the USA and right now working in Actuarial field under H1B visa.My visa is expring on Jan 01 2009 and my company told me last month that they are not going to renew my H1b.I am attending some interviews in my Actuarial field and I am not sure whether I'll get my H1b transfered before my current H1 expires.

I also got a part time lecturer job in Math in a University for one semester and the University has sent paper work for wage determination and I understand that university comes under exempt H1 category.

My questions are

1 To keep my Actuarial job which comes under non-exempt H1 category and to avoid Quota issues, can I switch to a IT job in a Consultant Company?Then after I get an Actuarial job, can I transfer my H1 from IT consulatant to Actuarial Employer?

2 Can I have both exempt H1 and non exempt H1 at the same time.

3 If I end up with only part time lecturer job, is there any restriction on salary and number of hrs.Now I got 30 hours per week job position from the University.
    4 Is there any other solution for me to stay in my Actuarial job?

Thanks

1. Yes. Yes.

2. Yes, you can hold 2 approved petitions at the same time, but work for only one unless your 2 H1s were filed as concurrent and that you'll work part time for both companies.

3. A full time job is 35 or more hours per week. But if your lecturership job is listed as full time in its job description, then you should be fine. Wait for confirmation from other senior members for this.

4. The only way you can stay in actuarial job is to find another job of your field, the company must be ready to transfer your H1 visa.

Comment

1. Once you are cap counted, you can switch between cap-exempt and cap employers. You need not do all the circus with crappy consulting companies.

2. Yes

3. You are allowed to have just a part-time H1b and need not work full time. Just stick with the university job and look for other jobs at leisure. Avoid the consulting company thought and don't go that route.

4. You already have a very good solution right in front of you. You are unnecessarily looking to complicate stuff.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.It really helped me a lot!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X