Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From H1B to B1/B2

Hi

A friend of mine recently got laid off from her job and she is currently looking for employment. Her last date is Dec 31. Can someone please let me know what options she has if she wants to continue staying in the US beyond that date (and assuming she doesnt find another job by then)?

I read in these forums that one can change to B1/B2 status and then remain in the US and continue looking for jobs. How exactly does this work? When does she need to apply for her tourist (B1/B2) visa and where? Does she need to go outside the country (eg Canada) to a US embassy?

Any clarifications would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Layoff -- Oh Oh

A friend of mine recently got laid off from her job and she is currently looking for employment. Her last date is Dec 31. Can someone please let me know what options she has if she wants to continue staying in the US beyond that date (and assuming she doesnt find another job by then)?

I read in these forums that one can change to B1/B2 status and then remain in the US and continue looking for jobs. How exactly does this work? When does she need to apply for her tourist (B1/B2) visa and where? Does she need to go outside the country (eg Canada) to a US embassy?

---- Apply for a B1/B2 visa as soon as you are laid off. Use form I-539 and send it to one of the service centers depending on your area of residence. There is no need to go out of the country. Once you apply for B1/B2 visa and receive a receipt you are good to stay within the US.

---- The vis is issued normally for 6 months, after that you have to seek extensions (sometimes granted other times denied) as by that time you should secure an employment

---- You may contact an attorney for legal advice and other formalities as each case may be different

Subramanya

Comment

Thank you very much for your helpful response.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X