Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with H4

Hi,

I am soon to be travelling to the US (New Jersey) with a H4.
    I would like to know my employment options in the US while holding a H4.

This website tells me that "In order to work, family members must obtain USCIS permission through the approval of a change of status application to a nonimmigrant category permitting employment."

Could someone be kind enough to explain what this means?
    Also, has anyone done this before?

Thanks
    Brinda

"In order to work, family members must obtain USCIS permission through the approval of a change of status application to a nonimmigrant category permitting employment."
    As per law books, H4 not allowed to work except that charity or social work which does not pay.

but you can apply for H1 and change your status from H4 to H1 in order to work. This process is what seeking USCIS permission to work.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Consult professionals before getting into an action.

Comment

Working with H4

Hi

I will be moving to california sometime in july 2009.
      I have a doubt regarding the work conditions.
      Say I have a valid H1b visa, will it be possible for me to start a small business on my own?
      Else what visa should i have for starting a small business?
      with a H4 i think we are permitted to study, but what about part time jobs during study?
      Could some one please clarify on these things please.

Comment

No paid work allowed for H4 of any sort. H1b can "invest" in a business but should not "engage" in it. One on H1b can provide capital and enjoy the returns but not have anything to do with the business or its day to day operations.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X