Issue enrolling to community collage with H4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue enrolling to community collage with H4

I am on H1B and my wife is on H4. I am trying to get my wife into a community collage. They are refusing to enroll her into the collage saying she is on H4 visa. I know she can study on H4 but they are trying to force a f1 on us saying we need to get her into the SEVIS with a I-20. I would like to get her going to this community collage since the fees are lower and it’s closer. Any idea how to convince these people? or should I look else where? Don’t won’t to go through the mess of converting her to F1.

Is there a US government link or document that I can show these people to convince them? I searched and can't find an official declaration saying H4 visa holders can study in US.

With a H4 do I still go to the International Student Office? There is no need for a I-20 correct?
    Last edited by DeepFreezed; 12-31-2008, 01:01 PM.

You join as an international student or "out of state" student but need not change to F1 nor get an I-20. Some one there doesn't know what they are talking about.

Here are some official sites that belong to DOS.

H-4 verses F-1
    There is no requirement that the spouse and/or children of an H-1 visa holder apply for a student (F-1) visa if they wish to study in the U.S.; they may study on an H-4 visa. However, if they are qualified, they may apply for the F-1 visa. If you have school age children, you should refer to the regulations governing the issuance of F-1 visas.

Visas for Family Members:

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 can receive H-4 visas to accompany the employee to the U.S. The application procedure is the same; the I-797A or B covers dependents. If your family members apply after the visa has been issued, they will need to have a copy of the primary applicant's visa included with their application. Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. Study: There is no requirement that the spouse and/or children of an H-1 visa holder apply for a student (F-1) visa if they wish to study in the U.S.; they may study on an H-4 visa in private or public schools. However, if they are qualified, they may apply for the F-1 visa. If you have school age children, you should refer to the regulations governing the issuance of F-1 visas.
    Last edited by txh1b; 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Is there a US government document or site link that describes what H4 visa holders are entitled to?

Comment

thanks for the info.

here is another link.

I will try convincing them with this info.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFreezed
          Is there a US government document or site link that describes what H4 visa holders are entitled to?
          If you are looking for something more official, you can try finding it in Foreign Affairs Manual that belongs to DOS. All embassy/consulates are part of DOS and are owned by US govt.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X