Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b renewal

Hello everyone,
    A very happy new year to all. i had a question in regards to H1b visa renewal. i found a lot of good thoughts and suggestions on this weblink. But i am still unsure. I have a valid I-797 and I-94 where the dates are for the first term of 3 yrs. I understand i am entitled for another renewal of 3 additional years. do i need another I-797 issued by INS for this renewal of 3 yrs or the embassy would issue an extended visa on the basis of the first I-797 which only shows 3 yrs. I anyone in the member group has encountered this situation could please suggest as to what documents would be needed for the renewal. thanks

H1 renewal

A very happy new year to all. i had a question in regards to H1b visa renewal. i found a lot of good thoughts and suggestions on this weblink. But i am still unsure. I have a valid I-797 and I-94 where the dates are for the first term of 3 yrs. I understand i am entitled for another renewal of 3 additional years. do i need another I-797 issued by INS for this renewal of 3 yrs or the embassy would issue an extended visa on the basis of the first I-797 which only shows 3 yrs. I anyone in the member group has encountered this situation could please suggest as to what documents would be needed for the renewal.

---- Before the completion of 3 years, your employer has to apply for the renewal of your H1 (I-797) for a further period of 3 years. The application process is the same as the initial application for H1

---- If you continue staying in the country there is no need of renewing your visa. However, if you travel overseas (other than Canada/Mexico) you have to get a visa stamped on your Passport for entering the US.

---- The embassy does not play any role in extending your visa unless you apply for one, attend an interview for the visa. The documents required are the same as those for the initial interview. You may also browse the FAQ's on this website for updated information

Subramanya

Comment

Originally posted by Subramanya
      However, if you travel overseas (other than Canada/Mexico) you have to get a visa stamped on your Passport for entering the US.
      After 9/11, Canada and Mexico trips require a valid visa to return back into US even if the I-94 is valid. Some CBP officers allow based on I-94 but it is not the rule.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

1. So i get this right, we cannot get a renewal visa stamped on the passport (for remaining 3 yrs) on the basis of the old I-797, there has to be a fresh application for the same and only on the basis of the new renewal I-797 i can get another visa stamp. I did get the point of not worrying about the stamp if i am not leaving the US.

2. Can i get a renewal stamp on my visa even in Canada, with a new I-797 or i have to go back to the home country (i.e. India) to get this stamp. My first stamp was issued in India.

Comment

1. Yes.
          2. Possible. Better if you have US degree as they sometimes deny as degree not verifiable and redirect to home country. Many do get it though. Read immihelp H1 section for more details.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X