Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent: Question on "Are you" while creating new application

Hi Experts,
    I have a question while booking the interview, after clicking create new application, its asking for me "Are you": 'A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US", Now here is my situation.

1. Im on H1B residing in US for almost 1 and half years, i changed my company and got new petition approved and at the same time my old visa is expiring in april 2009. Im coming to india for vacation and also for getting my new visa stamped.
    Now should i select "A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US",.
    If i select "A resident of India/bhutan", now which state should i select? im basically from tamil nadu but was working in bangalore for almost 4 years.
    If i select "An indian citizen resident in the US", its asking for my local address and phone number, Can i specify different address apart from the permanent address in the passport? What's the purpose of this address for?

2. For my wife's case (H4), my wife left to India in the month of december 2008 and she was with for almost 5 months. She is also comming for new visa stamping as her old visa also expires in april 2009.
    Now in my wife, what should i select for the question "Are you" - "A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US".

If i select "A resident of India/bhutan", now which state should i select? She is basically from bangalore.
    If i select "An indian citizen resident in the US", its asking for my local address and phone number? Can i specify the address where she leaved?

3. Finally question, in which place should should i specify the address for delivering the passport? Does this have any dependency on the address's i specify in the form?

Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards,

gj

Originally posted by gj01
    Hi Experts,
    I have a question while booking the interview, after clicking create new application, its asking for me "Are you": 'A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US", Now here is my situation.

1. Im on H1B residing in US for almost 1 and half years, i changed my company and got new petition approved and at the same time my old visa is expiring in april 2009. Im coming to india for vacation and also for getting my new visa stamped.
    Now should i select "A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US",.
    If i select "A resident of India/bhutan", now which state should i select? im basically from tamil nadu but was working in bangalore for almost 4 years.
    If i select "An indian citizen resident in the US", its asking for my local address and phone number, Can i specify different address apart from the permanent address in the passport? What's the purpose of this address for?

2. For my wife's case (H4), my wife left to India in the month of december 2008 and she was with for almost 5 months. She is also comming for new visa stamping as her old visa also expires in april 2009.
    Now in my wife, what should i select for the question "Are you" - "A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US".

If i select "A resident of India/bhutan", now which state should i select? She is basically from bangalore.
    If i select "An indian citizen resident in the US", its asking for my local address and phone number? Can i specify the address where she leaved?

3. Finally question, in which place should should i specify the address for delivering the passport? Does this have any dependency on the address's i specify in the form?

Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards,

gj
    you are in the India so you have to select "A Resident of india/bhutan" and your address of residence. if you apply for re-stamping from Mexico or canada from USA then you have to select second option and address of the USA.. but you already in india so select first option only.

Comment

Hi OMM,
      Thanks for you quick response.

1. Im still in US and planning to come to India on January end
      2. My wife she is already in India.

What should i select in this case?

Thanks.
      With Regards,

gj

Comment

Visa Stamping

I am planning to select <<An Indian citizen resident in the US> , as it clearly says upon selection
        "This option is applicable only for applicants applying for H or L visa.Students studying in U.S. and applying for F,M or J visa class must select the first option " A resident of India/Bhutan ":"

I too have a similar case , I am going to book an appointment for 1st week of Feb. I have sent you a message let discuss that out. Check ur inbox messages.

Thanks

Comment

at which place are you going to apply for your & your wife visa Re-stamping , so on that base you have to wrote or select it.
          if india then indian address
          if Mexico or canada then USA current address.
          thanks best luck
          Originally posted by expertguy4u
          I am planning to select <<An Indian citizen resident in the US> , as it clearly says upon selection
          "This option is applicable only for applicants applying for H or L visa.Students studying in U.S. and applying for F,M or J visa class must select the first option " A resident of India/Bhutan ":"

I too have a similar case , I am going to book an appointment for 1st week of Feb. I have sent you a message let discuss that out. Check ur inbox messages.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PatelScope
            That is not the way it works. Your address doesn't change based on where you apply.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by PatelScope
              at which place are you going to apply for your & your wife visa Re-stamping , so on that base you have to wrote or select it.
              thanks best luck

again I am confused here. I am working here on H1B with COS from L1 effective Oct 2008. I plan to goto India for stamping. so during the time of stamping I will be in India. so what shall apply to me?

Comment

in visa application you have to select indian address, because on that time you are not into the USA. if they have to communicate with you then where they will communicate? ofcourse indian address.

Originally posted by simplyshree
                again I am confused here. I am working here on H1B with COS from L1 effective Oct 2008. I plan to goto India for stamping. so during the time of stamping I will be in India. so what shall apply to me?

Comment

VFS asks for mailing address where the passport is to be sent. That is where they communicate.

The other address in DS156 would be your US address as you might have established residence there and visiting your home country temporarily.

At the end of the day, it does not matter how you look at it. This isn't worth worrying too much about. There are many posts on the same subject on the forum.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Are you": 'A resident of India/bhutan" or "An indian citizen resident in the US". In my case what will be applicable

Comment

Please...do some reading. This was posted just today.

Comment

Hi,

To avoid confusion abt the address in DS-156 form, As per my opinion do the following as I have done it:
                        Question 15 (Home Address): Give the Indian Address same as Passport Mailing address
                        Question 24 (Address in US): Give the US Address

So you will have both the addresses in the form .Make Sure that Passport Delivery Address is of India and where Passport can be received by someone.

As correctly mentioned by txh1b - it nothing to worry abt that much.
                        Best of Luck

--Thanks,
                        Abhay

Comment

Hi Txh1b & abhayg4,
                          Thanks a lot for the information.
                          One final question, i have already posted this message, but didnt get any reply. Where is the place i need to specify saying that i can collect my passport on the evening of the same day i had been interviewed or the next day. I am going to chennai consulate. So far i didnt find it in DS156 OR 157 or any other place, but still i havent scheduled the interview. The reason is in my home address none of them would be there as we going out of town.
                          For my previous posts, i havent got any reply, i hope you guys or somebody can help me out.

Thanks.
                          Best Regards,

GJ

Comment

There is no place to mention it. If your interview is early AM, there is a chance to get the PP same day or next day after 4 pm. You just have to track it using the number on the web or SMS.

Comment

form for interview

dude,

if you can't follow one simple form then wonder how you would be doing your supposedly highly logical job at client site (pun intended)..

ajay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X