Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B, H4 visa doubts and things to do during India matri. visit

Hello,

I am working in US on H1-B visa. I am going to India in Feb. 09 for 3 weeks and possibly will get married. My would be wife will apply for H1-B visa in March and I would like to call her to US around May.

I had a few questions:

1. What are the things I need to do during by visit to India to make sure my wife can come to US in May.

2. I will do court marriage and get the marriage certificate. Is it recommended that I take appointment for her H4 visa when I am in India or she can do that later.

3. Is it better that she comes to US early on H4 and then apply for H1-B or she can apply for H4 and H1-B separately. Applying H1-B first and then H4 or vice-versa, which is preferable or it doesn't matter.

Please advice.

Regards

Naren

Can someone please guide me.

Thanks

Naren.

Comment

Can any one please reply.

Thanks

Comment

Dear Friend,
        Congratulations on your marriage arrangements!!!!.
        Appreciate your analysis for future too.
        However pls dont mind...before two months i was also in the same boat...now my boat is not moving...
        Saying so not to discourage you but be prepared for the worst...as the situation demands...
        I had planned for my marriage in advance and came to hyd on nov14th for 4 weeks and started to look for my better-half. However i went for my Visa extension on 21st i got 221g and i am still waiting for my status ( i dont think u r applying for H1 extension) As no one knows the future uncertainity .
        Now my Job is still there but they are really in no mood to wait anylonger (i was in critical role as proj is moving to Prod in March09). I have submitted all the required docs...in 3 wks got a call from consulate asked my W2 and paystubs(6months) sent them recieved acknowledgement of same but when i email or call i get "Still under Admin processing".....
        Job is ok if u dont do this u can find another (dep on skill and confid)...however LIFE decision u(or i ) cant take in haste as the economy is bad and people are afraid of IT guys and also i cant change once i am commited to my betterhalf. So pls take this as a lesson from me and DO THE BEST WHAT U CAN THINK OF... BECAUSE I PLANNED EVERYTHING SMOOTHLY BUT WHEN IT DID NOT HAPPEN WE HAVE TO WAIT ALSO...
        i.e in Worst case of job loss, or unable to get H4 etc (pls refer this forum bec it gives u good source of hw things are going on today (yes it might change in 2 months but......UNCERTANITY IS THE EVENT OF THE DAY!!!!

Wish u all the very best.....sry if hurt
        --Nav

Comment

Dear Nav,

Thanks for your reply. I am not in IT and I am don't have to apply for H1 extension when I am in India.

Can you please try to the questions I had asked in my first post.

Thanks

Naren.

Comment

I am working in US on H1-B visa. I am going to India in Feb. 09 for 3 weeks and possibly will get married. My would be wife will apply for H1-B visa in March and I would like to call her to US around May.

I had a few questions:

1. What are the things I need to do during by visit to India to make sure my wife can come to US in May.

---- Marry, apply for H4 for your wife and both come to US

2. I will do court marriage and get the marriage certificate. Is it recommended that I take appointment for her H4 visa when I am in India or she can do that later.

---- Whether you take the appointment or your wife takes the appointment has no difference to the US Consulate. Your goal is to let your wife go for a H4 interview and get it stamped on her Passport. Even if you are in India at that time, you will not be allowed into the Consulate office during the interview

3. Is it better that she comes to US early on H4 and then apply for H1-B or she can apply for H4 and H1-B separately. Applying H1-B first and then H4 or vice-versa, which is preferable or it doesn't matter.

---- H1 is a lottery, it takes months for a decision and your wife can keep waiting in India without knowing the outcome of the H1 application (as per the present scenario). Later she has to appear for H1 interview and the chances are again dependent on the employer's and your wife's credentials and the VO's opinion. Based on this you can make a choice

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X