marital status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marital status

I got married here recently. I am on H1 visa and my spouse is on F1. How do we reflect our marital status on our passport. Can it do in USA or do I have to send it to India? Also can it be done online?

You don't need to do anything. You can get it done in the consulate of your country. They generally just add a spouse name as an observation.

As far as changing name to married name goes, you can leave it as is not to cause confusion with the immigration.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
      You don't need to do anything. You can get it done in the consulate of your country. They generally just add a spouse name as an observation.

As far as changing name to married name goes, you can leave it as is not to cause confusion with the immigration.
      thanks txh1b..one more query..if my wife doesnt change her last name to my last name as you said will there be any problem in USA for things like getting tax refund etc.

Comment

No problems at all with anything. There is no mandatory rule that wife has to change last name. Wife can retain maiden name in all places including PP, visa, DL, ssn, college etc.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X