• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding SSN

Hi Friends

I recently landed in USA on 28th Jan 2009

I been to SSN office after 10 days to apply for Social Security Number

Once I been there they said that it will take upto 8 weeks to get my SSN

My Employer said that unless i gets my SSN they cant send me the paycheks since SSN is needed to put it in W2 forms

But in that SSN receipt it is saying that if i have immigration clearence then eventhough i applied for SSN i can start working

Please clarrify me that

1.Is there anyway to check that immigration clearence?if so how?and wot exactly this immigration clearence means

2.Can My employer make the things so that i can work once i apply SSN by showing my petition documents?

Pardon me if i ask any questions bluntly but i am new to this

Thanks in Advance

If you are oh H1b, you need to be paid from day 1. This excuse about not having a SSN by the employer for not paying is false. Read the FAQs.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the Reply

Actually they are paying the stipend and house rent allowances

Since my actual salary will be getting payed only after i gets my ssn since i cant work in any project unless i have SSN

Thats what my employer is saying

Is that true?

Thanks in Advance

Comment

There is nothing called "stipend" or "housing allowance" in the US. Wages need to be paid as per the amount mentioned in the LCA. That is the law.

SSN is not a prerequisite for getting paid if you are on a legal status that allows work. Look up the I-9 form that describes the docs needed to hire a person.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi

Thanks txh1b

Your answer boosted me alot.Now what i haft to tell my employer so that I will get payed in as written in LCA and I-9?

Comment

Did you even see what the I-9 form is for before posting?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X