H4 visa - currently in US - passport lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 visa - currently in US - passport lost

My wife and kid are in US on a H4 visa. I hold a H1 visa.

I want my wife and kid to travel to India but can not find their passports. I suspect them to be lost. They need to travel pretty soon, within a fortnight if possible. I stay in Columbus, Ohio.

What options do I have for their travel to India? They cannot wait for 2 or 3 months to get a new passport for travel.

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Continuation - Passport lost

I forgot to mention that I do not have copies of their passport and visas. I never imagined they would get misplaced so never thought of getting them photo copied.

Comment

Without a copy of the passport, getting a new passport will be very time taking. Do you at least have the passport numbers? Did you ever make a copy for any reason overseas? Check with your attorneys if you have ever filed for a H4 extension. They might have copies.

There is no way they can go in 15 days as the clearance for a lost passport takes a while. If it is a matter of emergency travel, Chicago consulate might give a temporary travel document. Approach the consulate and remember, no one will pick up the phone. It is not worth even trying to call them.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the reply txh1b.

I have passport number and a copy of first and last page for my wife but cannot find any passport details for my kid. I have her birth certificate though (from India). I never made copies of them.

From what I understand from your email and a few passport-help forum posts, I need to apply for a travel document in the Chicago consulate. I am ok with the arrangement that they go to india somehow and then apply for passports there.

Is this plan of action good?

Also do I need to take my wife and kid personally to the Chicago consulate?

Should I just take an appointment at Chicago consulate and be there at the appointment time with whatever documents I have?

Will it be a problem if i do not have residence proof for them as they do not have any bank a/c or lease or any utility in their name, cos everything is with my name?

Thanks in advance,
        Rajan

Comment

I have passport number and a copy of first and last page for my wife but cannot find any passport details for my kid. I have her birth certificate though (from India). I never made copies of them.

From what I understand from your email and a few passport-help forum posts, I need to apply for a travel document in the Chicago consulate. I am ok with the arrangement that they go to india somehow and then apply for passports there.

Is this plan of action good?

Also do I need to take my wife and kid personally to the Chicago consulate?

---- As told earlier there is no use calling the Indian Consulate in Chicago for an appointment. You have to go there personally with your family (including wife and children)

Should I just take an appointment at Chicago consulate and be there at the appointment time with whatever documents I have?

---- As above, you will not be able to take an appointment. If you try and wait for one, you can spend days together before you can even get to talk to them. Leave alone asking for an appointment

Will it be a problem if i do not have residence proof for them as they do not have any bank a/c or lease or any utility in their name, cos everything is with my name?

---- At the present moment for you these are not the issues. If you need a travel document go to the Indian Consulate in Chicago and talk to the people concerned about a travel document and in the meanwhile apply for a duplicate passport with all the evidence that you have. Also, file a police complaint as you will have to submit this to ensure that your Passports are lost

Subramanya

Comment

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the input Subramanya, txh1b.

Just came to know that Ohio falls under New York consulate, not Chicago jurisdiction. Also I could find copies of the passports. I called the NY consulate and the attendant was very helpful. She advised to apply for a new passport with copies of the lost passport.

Thanks a ton,
              Rajan

Comment

Oops, sorry about the Chicago/NY mix-up. Ohio seems closer to Chicago than NYC

Comment

oh yes, even I was confused when I found out that the consulate is NY and not chicago for Ohio.

I found the passports at home today. Could not believe myself. They were tucked in the inside pocket of an old jacket.

gleefully,
                  Rajan

Comment

Good! That doesn't literally destruct your travel plans. Now you know what to do. Create electronic copies of the PP, Visa and other imp docs and save it in an email so that it can be accessible from any part of the world.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X