Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-1 to f-1

Dear Experts,

I would truly appreciate if you can guide me in this matter. I graduated in 2007 from US school and since then I have been on H-1b. Due to current economic situation and lots of layoffs at my work place, I am planning to go back to school to get another Masters or Ph.D. It sounds like COS process takes around 4 months. So, my questions are….

1.) When do I need to apply for my change of status? ( In other words, should I file my change of status before I resign or get layoff or this process should start after my termination from the job?)
    2.) I have already got admission for both the programs. So, If I get layoff tomorrow can I file for my COS from H-1 TO F1 immediately?
    3.) Am I considered out of status during the time when COS status takes place from H1 to F1?
    4.) Will I be subject to cap in the future for H1?

I look forward to hear from you guys soon. Thanks for your time and help

Any senior members please reply. Appreciate your time and help

Comment

1. Any type of COS has to be started before you lose your currently held status. For F1, you should also keep the semester dates in mind. Once a COS is approved, you can no longer work even if you held on to the job.
      2. Yes. Better if you apply as per #1
      3. No. It is authorized stay if you use #1 instructions.
      4. Not if you have not used your 6 years. Read the FAQs.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
        1. Any type of COS has to be started before you lose your currently held status. For F1, you should also keep the semester dates in mind. Once a COS is approved, you can no longer work even if you held on to the job.
        2. Yes. Better if you apply as per #1
        3. No. It is authorized stay if you use #1 instructions.
        4. Not if you have not used your 6 years. Read the FAQs.
        Thanks txh1b. I was hoping that you would reply soon . Please correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like …….say if my employment is going to be terminated next week, USCIS should receive all required documents before that and on the day when I file for COS, I can go to school full and don’t need to maintain H-1B. is this correct? Once again thank you so much and have a great evening.

Comment

You can go to school on F1 only after F1 COS is approved.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

You can go to school on F1 only after F1 COS is approved.
            Okay. So, I won't be having F1 but can I still go to school when COS is pending from H-1 to F-1

Comment

Tricky but possible as it is period of authorized stay. You cannot work though. Best bet is to get a F1 visa and re-enter unless your coursework is already in progress.

Comment

Tricky but possible as it is period of authorized stay. You cannot work though. Best bet is to get a F1 visa and re-enter unless your coursework is already in progress.
                “Tricky but possible”….. that means there is no written rule about it…. Is that correct?….I know its really tricky even I am not sure which fees (Instate or out state) I will be paying. I met with an ISO advisor and he wasn’t sure about fees. I dont know whom to ask

Comment

The transient period after you lose your current status and don't have a new status is just a "period of authorized stay" and it is NOT a status. That is the reason it is tricky. Talk to a lawyer and you may get the same gray area answer.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X