Reenter with New Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenter with New Status

I am currently on a L1 visa from South Africa and am about to conclude my business with the company who brought me here. I would like to change my status to a B1/B2 tourist visa so I can travel and see more of the US before returning home.

When I first entered the US and told the agent that I'd like to travel after my business is concluded, he said that all I would have to do is leave the country and reenter with my new status request. He even suggested Mexico or Canada (which, after reading "Extend Visitor's Visa," might have been wrong).

I planned a trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and will return before my D/S date expires. It also happens that two friends of mine are getting married down there, so I get to attend their wedding too!!! So my main question is, can I leave on my L1 visa and reenter the US on a new B1/B2?

I have read about and am prepared to file the I-539, just in case, but the trip seems like a convenient way to do it -- if it's possible.

Also, if it is possible, what do I need to have prepared for my reentry?

Thanks!

(sorry that this also appears in the B2 section -- I don't know where it should go)

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X