Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname and SSN

Hi Experts!!

In my passport, i only have the GIVEN NAME as GANGADHARAN. As i do not have any surnames, the field for SURNAME was left blank.

When i filled the DS 156 and DS 157 forms, i was guided to mention in the First Name section as FNU and Surname as GANGADHARAN. So, my name goes like FNU GANGADHARAN.

Will there be any issues in getting visa or filing for the SSN on landing US? Can any experts guide me on this, please..

Many thanks in advance.

You would have to go with FNU GANGADHARAN in all places and it sucks! Google for problems resulting out of FNU cases.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Many thanks txh1b !! Would it be advisable to change my surname after landing in US at the Indian embassy there or will it lead to more confusions..

Comment

I thought you just said you don't have a surname. If you do, have an observation recorded by the passport office on the passport before you travel and fill out the I-94 in the right format when you enter US. That will get your SSN with the right names.

Visa remains valid.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X