Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original I-797 necessary for interview? Is a scanned copy ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original I-797 necessary for interview? Is a scanned copy ok?

Hi there

I am on a tight schedule to report for job in USA. Do i need to wait for the original I-797 for interview at the consulate or is a scanned copy with receipt number enough?

Thank you

Hi,

As per the requirement Original I-797 is required .
    But sometimes VO officer do accept Scanned copy/Photocopy if you are able to explain ur reason why u don't have original along with some proof from ur employer or attorney and he/she buys/agrees with it.As they can also verify the details using PIMS system.
    But still I'll say that it is like taking chances with your Visa interview without original I-797 especially for H1 candidates.

Thanks and Regards,
    Abhay

Comment

Thank you abhay.

This is what i found on USCIS website

To schedule the interview appointment, you will need the receipt number that
      is printed on the approved Form I-129 petition. NOTE: During your interview,
      the consular officer will use the receipt number to verify the Form I-129 petition
      approval. Therefore, Form I-797 is no longer used to verify petition approval,
      and is no longer necessary for your visa interview.

So i am confused.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry , I am not sure abt the USCIS website details.
        But if you are going to India for the Visa Stamping - then in VFS site they have mentioned that ORIGINAL I-797 is required as a document.

So , I am just saying if ur I-797 petition is approved and has been received by your company/attorney , then why don't you ask them to courier it to you by overnight mail.

Thanks and Regards,
        Abhay

Comment

Thank you again Abhay. Looks like i ll have to wait for the fedex.

Comment

I-129 approval notice is sent on I-797 (many other notices are also sent on the same form number).
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

I finished my interview at hyd consulate yesterday. Emailed the embassy for emergency appointment mentioning without I-797(USCIS took for ever to mail it) and they agreed.
              I got a scanned copy of I 797 just the night before the interview. So went with a copy.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X