Interviewer asking SSN and DOB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewer asking SSN and DOB?

I am working in an IT field in US from Oct 2008 in H1B Visa. My project is going to end by July 15. I am taking interviews. One of the Consultant talked to me about my experience. He asked my SSN and DOB (For DOB, I just gave him the date and month). When I asked him why he needs this, he said the client is Chase and Credit Card Companies asks for this information for background check and it's normal.

Is he right? Do the Credit Card Companies ask for SSN and DOB?

Thanks!

Many financial companies ask for a credit as well as background check. But, the company that asks for this information should be the 3rd party that does background check and not the middle vendors.

Why should you start handing over SSN and DOB to every TDH on dice, monster etc.?

This is a perfect recipe for identity theft. They have your Name, SSN, DOB, Address, your previous zip codes (from resume and places that you mentioned).

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

What can I do now?

Thanks txh1b for your response.

The mail the interviewer sent me has his name, title, company logo, phone no., website and all the contact particulars. I even called him and talked to him the no. he has mentioned in the email. Website looked legitimate. That's why I gave my SSN. Now I feel bad for my decision.

At this point of time, (other than monitoring my credit report) is there anything I can do from my side?

Thanks.

Comment

They might be a real background check company hired by the employer. The world has become so bad that you have to look at everything with a suspicion.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X