Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa - Please advice

Hi,

I 'm getting married and planning to apply for a dependent H4 visa as my fiance is in US with an H1B visa.
    I have a small worry and require some expert opinion over here.
    My name as on my Birth Certificate is different than on passport.

Would this cause any issues in me getting the H4 visa?

Please advice at the earliest
    Last edited by soumya_a; 09-22-2010, 12:44 AM.

Not a problem.

But if you want correct name for all future purposes, better to correct in the passport now.
    Name on passport is final and will be used elsewhere.

Comment

You will have issues later if you don't correct your name in the passport now. If you don't correct it, then you will have to go with the same name in your visa application. Your U.S driving license will go by your name in the passport/Visa. It is much easier to correct it now than later.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Initials are never allowed on the passport. You just have to go with the first name as Soumya and last name as Aladi. That correction will be needed. If not, you will have a FNU (First Name Unknown) and Last name will become Soumya Aladi.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

It is better to change your name in passport after marriage.
          Use the husband last name in your last name before going to Consulate(update last name in passport)

Comment

Heyy..

Thanks a lot guys.. I think I'll get the name changed in the passport now itself.. Any idea how long this process will take?

Comment

It is approximately 25 to 30 days if you've applied the normal way and 7-10 days if you apply by tatkal.

Usually for splitting the name into first name and last name, it is not required to publish your name in the local news paper. If they request you to do so, then you will have to wait for 30 days before applying for the name change from the date on which the name is published in the local new paper.

Originally posted by soumya_a View Post
              Heyy..

Thanks a lot guys.. I think I'll get the name changed in the passport now itself.. Any idea how long this process will take?

Comment

No ad in paper needed. It will just be recorded on the same passport unless you want to change your last name to your husband's. Ad in paper is needed if you want to change your name to something different than what you have (not needed even for married name change)

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

H1-H4 Visa Stamping

Hi,
                  I am on H-1(I-797 expires oct 2011) and wife on H4, we are planning to visit india this december. My visa got expired 2 years back, so we need to get visa stamping when we go to India. My concern is it OK to make travel plans now, will we fair chance of getting visa stamping done in Hyderabad? Or should I send my wife and kid instead?

Your advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Hi kns1bsh,

If you have all the papers/documents ,continous paystubs , geniune job then you have a fair chance of getting the Visa done.
                    I am not saying 100% becos you never know what will happen at Consulate interview even if you are having all the docs for u and family as 1% is always LUCK.
                    So , if ur confident enough that u have everything then 99% chance you will get the Visa .

Thanks and Regards,
                    Abhay

Comment

Hi Soumya,

I am not which Passport office you will go to.

But I am telling my experince for the same for Hyderabad Office.

There if you want to get the name changed , then for that they will issue a totally NEW PASSPORT (earlier they used to stamp in one of the pages the correct/changed name) and as the earlier passport was not issued from Hyderabad , they did police verification (for which I had to give money to expedite the process) and then new passport was issued in 25-30 days.
                      This happened abt 2 years back.

thanks and regards,
                      Abhay

Comment

I'm from Goa, so my passport was issued from there. But currently I'm based out of Bangalore.
                        So would it be advisable to get it done from bangalore, although I've heard that the passport process is rather slow here (One of my friend had applied 2-3 months back and she has still not got her passport)?
                        Or I could ask my dad to do it from Goa itself, but in this case, I would not be able to go there myself.

I just want to get this done ASAP.

Comment

You need to apply for the passport in the City (Or the close by city where they have the passport office) where you live/work. They would reject your application in Goa if they come to know that you are currently residing in Bangalore.

Originally posted by soumya_a View Post
                          I'm from Goa, so my passport was issued from there. But currently I'm based out of Bangalore.
                          So would it be advisable to get it done from bangalore, although I've heard that the passport process is rather slow here (One of my friend had applied 2-3 months back and she has still not got her passport)?
                          Or I could ask my dad to do it from Goa itself, but in this case, I would not be able to go there myself.

I just want to get this done ASAP.

Comment

Hi Soumya,

as now you haven;t changed your name in the passport.
                            So go by the Name given in the passport.
                            As once you are in US - you name should be same as your Visa Name/Passport Name for all the documents/applications you file to avoid any issues/confusion.

Thanks and Regards,
                            Abhay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X