India Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India Travel

I am travelling to India after 2.5 years. I have a question about my personal laptops and an external hard drive that I have been using for a pretty long time.

- one is usual 15" screen Dell bought 2 years back
    - other is little Dell mini bought 6 months back
    - and I shall also be carrying my personal external hard drive.

Now the question is:

1. At airport in India, do I need to stop at red channel to get my laptops and external hard drive entered on my passport?

OR

2. I should simply walk through the green channel after turning in the Disembarkation card to the custom official?

Since the items are not dutiable.

You are allowed to carry 1 laptop and Rs. 25,000 worth of goods. So do the math and decide for yourself.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Shervin for a quick reply. A little more clarification:

Mathematically, I am well below the qualifying limits of even if I calculate Dell Mini and external hard drive under 25000 slab and my inspiron regular laptop seperately. And since these are not new and my personal stuff, well used over long period of time, the package from all perspective doesnot come under duty. I also read:

- Indian passengers returning from an overseas stay of at least 365 days in the last 2 years,

and who have not availed of any concession on duty in the last 3 years are allowed to bring

back used personal and household effects upto a maximum worth of Rs.75,000 without paying any

duty.

- NRIs visiting India are allowed personal effects and other articles which they would be taking back with them on their return abroad

This is my first time travel after 2.5 years and I have gotten my status changed and would have to go through visa stamping before going back to United States. But there is also a possibility that I may defer my visa stamping for some months and spend time in India before travelling back to USA. Under this situation:

1. Do I need to get these items entered on to my passport because, whenever I travel back to USA these items are gonna be with me?

2. Or there is no need to get them entered since the trio of items is not dutiable?

Please advise. Thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X