Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-156 form - can that be edited manually once filled online

Hi everyone in this forum,

I have H1B approved and have a visa interview in early December.
    I have filled all the visa interview forms ( DS-156 and DS-157 ) online and submitted, when i realized one mistake in the form DS-156 which i can't correct online. Here's the detail:

In DS-156, one has to mention his/her “other Surname/First names used”.
    I was on F-1 status initially and my F-1 visa ( including other forms like I-20 etc) had name "FNU RAHUL YADAV". This was because my passport DIDN’’T had my surname. I got my passport corrected at the Indian consulate, San Francisco, and now my new passport has my correct name "RAHUL YADAV"

While filling the DS-156 form initially, i mentioned NA for "other surname/given name used". Now i can't correct those online.

My questions are:

1. Can i edit the printed copy of the DS-156 form manually with a pen or pencil and mention my
    Other Surname used: RAHUL YADAV
    Other Given Name used: FNU

2. Since, I applied for the new passport ( to include my surname in the passport), at Indian consulate, San Francisco, I have mentioned the following in DS-156 form:

Place of issuance:

City: Sanfrancisco
    State/Province: California
    Issuing country: India

Please let me know if for #2 above, I have filled in the right details.

Any response in this regard, would be highly appreciated.

Best,
    Rahul

Once you submit the application online, certain fields will be locked down and will not be editable. Call the VFS helpline and they should be able to help you in editing the locked fields. Take a new printout after that.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

thank you for the reply. I will call VFS regarding question #1.

Can you please answer for question #2:

question #2: Since, I applied for the new passport ( to include my surname in the passport), at Indian consulate, San Francisco, I have mentioned the following in DS-156 form:

Place of issuance:

Is the above information correct? Please confirm

Thanks a lot,
      Rahul

Comment

That is correct. Change the Country to "United States of America".

Originally posted by guppilovesIndia View Post
        thank you for the reply. I will call VFS regarding question #1.

Can you please answer for question #2:

question #2: Since, I applied for the new passport ( to include my surname in the passport), at Indian consulate, San Francisco, I have mentioned the following in DS-156 form:

Place of issuance:

Is the above information correct? Please confirm

Thanks a lot,
        Rahul
        Last edited by shervin143; 11-29-2009, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Sorry, may be i am misunderstanidng. Will the "issuing country" be "United States of America" or "India"?

As per the information given at the link : https://www.immihelp.com/us-visa-app...n-form-ds-160/

its mentioned that it should always be "India" as i am a citizen of India and not United States.

Please confirm again which is correct.

Thanks,
          Rahul

Comment

I just asked you to change the Country from "United States" to "United States of America". I did not say anything about the Issuing Country. Issuing Country should be India.

Sorry, may be i am misunderstanidng. Will the "issuing country" be "United States of America" or "India"?

As per the information given at the link : https://www.immihelp.com/us-visa-app...n-form-ds-160/

its mentioned that it should always be "India" as i am a citizen of India and not United States.

Please confirm again which is correct.

Thanks,
            Rahul

Comment

thanks a lot Shervin143 for the clarification. Yes,i have mentioned the country as "United States of America".

I truly appreciate your help in this regard.

Best,
              Rahul

Comment

please help!!!!

thanks a lot Shervin143 for the clarification. Yes,i have mentioned the country as "United States of America".

I truly appreciate your help in this regard.

Best,
                Rahul
                Hi All,

I have have renewed my passport in San Francisco and i have a question while filling usa visa appointment in india form

in step 5 : passport details
                its asking for Passport Issuance Place: should i write it as USA OR INDIA?

please kindly reply...

Comment

This will be clearly printed in your passport. Open your passport and see what is written in 'Place of Issue' and enter that.

Originally posted by california9 View Post
                  Hi All,

I have have renewed my passport in San Francisco and i have a question while filling usa visa appointment in india form

in step 5 : passport details
                  its asking for Passport Issuance Place: should i write it as USA OR INDIA?

please kindly reply...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X