I-94 issue - urgent advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 issue - urgent advice needed

Hi, I have a problem with my I-94. My H1B visa is valid until May 2011 but my I-94 is going to expire in March 2010, because my passport is also going to expire then. When I was returning from India after visa stamping, the immigration officer said that since my pasport is expiring, he cannot give my I-94 a greater validity period. I am going to get my passport renewed now. But which is the better way to renew my I-94? Should I apply for H1Bextension? or should I just get out of the country and get back in? I was planning to visit India nextyear early in Jan. But even if I think about going out of the country and get back in, would I need an h1B extension for that? or will it be fine as long as I go and come back within March 2010? I would really appreciate any advice here. I am stumped and I really dont know what to do.

Thanks so much,
    Sree

Leave the country and re-enter. You will be getting a new I-94 that is valid till the petition end date. You will need a valid H1B visa though.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

You can return with existing or new visa before visa expiry.
      This option is better as you're visiting India anyway.

Comment

1. You can even try visiting the nearest CBP deferred inspection post to have the I-94 extended. They may just do it. If that does not work traveling and returning will work.
        2. Alternatively you can file I539 to have your status extended.
        3. Or alternatively your employer can file for having the petition and status extended.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks so much for the prompt replies.. I really appreciate it. I think I will check out the differed inspection office and try there. Should I just ask for a new I-94? Would anybody know what documents I would need to take with me for this?

My second option will be to go to India. My H1B visa is valid until May 2011. So, I guess I don't need to apply for an extension if I am going to India.

Thanks once again, to everybody who have taken the time to reply. Have a great weekend!

Comment

I-94 issue - urgent advice needed

Hi,

I also have similar kind of issue with my I-94, i need to correct it once i receive my new passport. I live in New Jersey state. Could some one please send me the details of differed inspection office, how can i find this office address details.

Thanks
            Mallik

Comment

There is a differed inspection office in all international airports in U.S. Try the Newark international airport.

Originally posted by mpedaballe View Post
              Hi,

I also have similar kind of issue with my I-94, i need to correct it once i receive my new passport. I live in New Jersey state. Could some one please send me the details of differed inspection office, how can i find this office address details.

Thanks
              Mallik
              Last edited by shervin143; 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM.
              Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X