Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B - Limit to number of extensions

Hi,

Given that my H1B was initially issued for just one year, which seems to be quite common in consultancy, based on the initial length of my project as per client letter, I was wondering what happens if I apply for an extension which is also only approved for a further 1 year ?

Do I have to leave the US after the end of the extension, or can I apply for further extensions until I have reached the 6 year limit ?

I have heard mixed reports that I have to apply for a green card at least a year before the initial extension expires. I am wondering, if this is true, how it is achievable when the extension may only be approved for a year ?

Many Thanks.

See below.

Originally posted by andrewlyth View Post
    Hi,

Given that my H1B was initially issued for just one year, which seems to be quite common in consultancy, based on the initial length of my project as per client letter, I was wondering what happens if I apply for an extension which is also only approved for a further 1 year ?

Do I have to leave the US after the end of the extension, or can I apply for further extensions until I have reached the 6 year limit ?

>>>> No need to leave the country. You can keep applying for extensions until you reach the 6 year limit.

I have heard mixed reports that I have to apply for a green card at least a year before the initial extension expires. I am wondering, if this is true, how it is achievable when the extension may only be approved for a year ?

>>>> This only applies if you want to extend your stay on H1B beyond 6 years.

Many Thanks.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks again for the prompt response Shervin.

It appears that an answer to a similar question has been previously provided on the forum - apologies for not searching properly first !

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X