Help with Social Security and medicare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Social Security and medicare

I started working since April of 2003 (almost 18 months) for a Government Agency. I was on OPT till November,2003 AND SINCE THEN ON MY h-1
    I noticed that from my every pay check (twice a month),
    9.5% is deducted for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare. Since I am on my H-1 visa and planning to return to India in a couple of years,
    I seriously feel this amount shoudnt have been deducted. Do I have to contact my employer or the Social Security in order to obtain the deducted amount.
    The main problem is I am the first international with our organisation and my personnell manager is not very good at handling these issues.

Also, federal and state taxes withheld are 15.85% and 3.4 %. I am really not sure if these are the right % for anyone on H-1 Visa.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

my opinion

I am reading books for financial planning. I am a foreign allien working in the USA like you, and I am investigating how to cut as much as possible my taxes under my status.

Unfortunately according the information I got, there is no way to avoid local, state or federal taxes while working in the USA for foreigners. We should pay taxes depending our tax bracket.

I still invetigating if I can cut some of them, and how.

Comment

tony is right. You must pay those taxes. No way to avoid them.
      Immihelp Support
      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

How about Social Security and medicare taxes ?

There got to be a way to avoid those taxes while working on temporary visa. I do not like the idea of depending on another country organization when i am at 65.

It is really hijacking people money

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X