Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching from B1/B2 to H1B in Tijuana (with visa stamped already)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from B1/B2 to H1B in Tijuana (with visa stamped already)

Hi,
    We're having B1/B2 visas, and in few weeks we'll also have H1B visa stamped for my wife work in the USA (PhD, working in an academic institution).

We're planning to enter the USA 1M before the start date on B1/B2, do a few weeks of vacation, and then switch to the H1B (important to emphasize - we'll arrive to the USA with both visas on our passports).

As we'll be in Los Angeles - is it acceptable to simply drive to the Tijuana border, go out, and then go in via the H1B ? Should we stay a minimum few hours or a night in Tijuana? Will appreciate inputs if such a minimum is needed.

Thanks,
    Avi

I've done day trips to Mexico/Tijuana - coming back same day, so I know it is fine. Years ago, we had done a quick loop of US/Canada as well.

I don't think a minimum is needed but I think that long term, there will be clarity if things were on different dates. In the future, you will need to tally days spent in the US, etc. If you're on a vacation, you can go to the beach town, rosarito

Comment

Originally posted by Mogu View Post
      I've done day trips to Mexico/Tijuana - coming back same day, so I know it is fine. Years ago, we had done a quick loop of US/Canada as well.

I don't think a minimum is needed but I think that long term, there will be clarity if things were on different dates. In the future, you will need to tally days spent in the US, etc. If you're on a vacation, you can go to the beach town, rosarito
      Thanks for answering! So - based on your experience, we can arrive at the morning and return to switch from B1 to H1b (assuming we'll have both in the passport)?

Comment

I am not personally familiar with switching statuses or having multiple visas and telling the PoE officer to use one vs the other. However, I have personally entered Mexico and returned back in a couple of hours via Tijuana. I have also done a loop back from both US and Canada. They might ask you what you're doing but the time spent in the foreign country has been a non-issue.

Here a couple of things you should keep in mind for your visa run.
        • Entering via the Tijuana border takes HOURS. The line for vehicles is miles long. I recommend entering in the wee hours (4 am) to avoid the nightmarish crowds and avoid holidays like the plague.
        • Last I was at the border, they were still using paper I-94s instead of the electronic ones. You might need to talk to an attorney to find out if you do need to turn them in before leaving the US as it was done before the system went electronic (around 5 years ago). I haven't dealt with it because I wasn't changing status and the CBP doesn't issue a new I-94 if you cross via land border. You'll need them to issue you a new I-94.
        • If you search the forums, you'll find people who go to the border and get a new I-94 issued WITHOUT entering Mexico. It might not work in your case since you need to switch visa status as well, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X