H1B 6 Year Reset Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B 6 Year Reset Question

I am in US on H1B since Mar 2004. In my overall stay period I was out of US for 9 months but in seperate periods (not in a stretch). My 6 years of H1B completes by 12/31/2010 if I stay in US for rest of this year.
    I have applied extension couple of times that have been approved. Now I can stay only until 12/31/2010 as it completes 6 years.
    Since I have already spent 9 months out of US before I have following question with respect to 6 years reset for another H1b term -

1. Do you think I will be able to reset my H1B visa for another 6 years period in case I leave US for another 3-4 months and then apply the new H1b visa?

2. By what date would I be eligible to apply for new H1B if I leave USA by June 2010.

3. Do I need to apply for new H1B for I can reset the 6 years if I do a H1b Transfer or extension after spending another 3-4 months out of US?

If not can you tell me what is the best option for me to come back to US.

Dinesh Shendge

You will need to spend one year out of the U.S. to apply for fresh H1B visa, subject to cap.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

So are you saying the 9 months that I was already out of the US in last H1 will not count?.

Comment

That can be reclaimed in current H1 period also. No need to go out of US. Apply for extn after your current H1 expires, and you will get 9 more months.

Comment

I received my h1 on Mar 2004. My visa was supposed to expire in Mar 2010 but I have applied for extension is awaiting. Since I was out from US for 9 months I am expecting another 9 months of extension.
          My question is what if I decide to leave the US now Apr 2010. What woul be the time when i can apply a fresh new visa and reset my 6 yrs of h1?
          Since I was already out for 9 months, i think if i stay out of US another 4-5 months that should complete 12 months time that I was out of US and it should allow me to apply fresh visa that can reset my 6 yrs of h1. Isn't it, if not why?

Comment

It doesn't work like that. You need to be completely out of U.S for 1 whole year to apply for a fresh H1B.

Originally posted by shydinesh View Post
            I received my h1 on Mar 2004. My visa was supposed to expire in Mar 2010 but I have applied for extension is awaiting. Since I was out from US for 9 months I am expecting another 9 months of extension.
            My question is what if I decide to leave the US now Apr 2010. What woul be the time when i can apply a fresh new visa and reset my 6 yrs of h1?
            Since I was already out for 9 months, i think if i stay out of US another 4-5 months that should complete 12 months time that I was out of US and it should allow me to apply fresh visa that can reset my 6 yrs of h1. Isn't it, if not why?
            Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X