No announcement yet.

After change name in India, can we travel to US without name change in passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After change name in India, can we travel to US without name change in passport

My wife is living in USA since 2016.
    She is having H4 dependent visa and since this visa is expired last month,
    She is in the process of name change with complete new name during her India trip so she will get gazette notification as a proof for name change . But not planning to apply for new passport for the name change in the India trip as this may take time and if the name changed in the passport, she may not able to go for US VISA stamping as I797 petition of here is having old name and also we booked the airline ticket already with old name so we can't change the name in the airline too if the name is changed in the passport.

So in this case, can she travel to US with existing passport with old name and new US VISA with the same old name, only thing we have changed the name legally in India and we have proof as gazette notification.

And I see the below FAQ in the US TRAVEL link.a Q.4 I changed my name. Is my U.S. Visa with my old name still valid?

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States.

But, it didn't say it is must to apply for new passport and new visa with name change before travel back to US.

So my question is that can she travel to US with existing passport with old name and new US VISA with the same old name?

And If she is able to enter USA with this document, on arrival to USA, still can she give the old name as per passport in the CBP(Customs and Border Protection) Traveler Entry Forms?

And I asked CKGS passport center in US, they confirmed that i can apply for new passport in USA with gazette notification and US VISA with old name.

So I am planning to apply for the new passport in USA if i am allowed to travel back to US.

Thanks.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X