I94 going to over but have valid H1 - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I94 going to over but have valid H1 - Help

My I94 is getting expired on 07 June 2010 - but i have a valid H1 visa stamped in passport till 30 Sep 2011. What should i do to extend the I94? My passport is also getting expired in June 2010 - think that is the reason the immigration officer gave my I94 till passport expiration date.

Please let me konw what i should do - apply for a new passport, extend i94, etc ???

Thanks.

You will need to file for an extension before the I-94 expires. Visa is just an entry document. I-94 is the one that decides your status when you are inside the country. Or alternatively, get the passport renewed, leave the country and re-enter and you will get a new extended I-94.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

I am on my second (3yrs) H1 - can i still file for my extension?

Is there a way to get the I94 extended (after getting my new Indian Passport) within US - without having to leave the country?

Thanks.

Comment

I am on my second (3yrs) H1 - can i still file for my extension?
        >>> H1B in total is for 6 year. After that you need to leave the country and spend one year outside U.S.

Is there a way to get the I94 extended (after getting my new Indian Passport) within US - without having to leave the country?
        >>> Did you read my previous reply? File for extension before the I-94 expires and the approval will come with a new I-94. You don't have to leave the country for that.

Comment

>>> Did you read my previous reply? File for extension before the I-94 expires and the approval will come with a new I-94. You don't have to leave the country for that.

This is extension for my I94 and not my H1 visa right? Both are different?

Comment

Visa is just an entry document to U.S. You don't need to have a valid visa when you are already inside the counrty. That is what I mentioned earlier. When you are inside U.S, all that you need to have is a valid I-94. Valid visa is required only when you leave the country and re-enter.

So when you file for extension, you will get a new I-94, not a new visa, which is good enough to stay in the country.

Originally posted by me_myself View Post

This is extension for my I94 and not my H1 visa right? Both are different?

Comment

thanks a lot for the help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X