Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on H1-B

I am currently in the US and my period of stay in US is as follows:

1. June 2006 to Feb 2007 --> H1-B (Approx 8 months)
    2. May 2007 to June 2007 --> H1-B (Approx 2 months)
    3. Aug 2008 to till date --> L1-B (I-94 valid till Aug 2011)

Both my H1-B and L1-B are sponsored by my Indian IT company.

My questions are:

1. When my Indian IT company is applying for renewing/extending the L1-B during 2011, how long am I eligible to get the extension for? Will it be 2 years or 1 year?

2. If I want to switch my job in US, I know I need to go for an H1-B. So, if somebody (new employer) sponsors me H1-B, how long will I get H1-B for? Will it be 6 years or something less than that?

Please let me know.

H1B + L1 in total is for 6 years. You can keep applying for the extension until you reach the 6 year limit. In order to get a fresh 6 year term, you will need to stay out of the country for 1 whole year and then apply a fresh H1B in the new quota.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Sherwin for your quick response. If you see the gap between my period of stay in L1-B and H1-B, there is an Indian stay of more than a year. So, discounting the H1-B stay, am I not eligible to stay for a max of 5 years in L1-B starting from Aug 2008?

Comment

If you have used the same petition to travel back, then the clock won't reset. Like I mentioned, it has to be a fresh H1B on a new quota after staying out of the country for 1 year to get a fresh 6 year term.

Originally posted by rpa123 View Post
        Thanks Sherwin for your quick response. If you see the gap between my period of stay in L1-B and H1-B, there is an Indian stay of more than a year. So, discounting the H1-B stay, am I not eligible to stay for a max of 5 years in L1-B starting from Aug 2008?
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X