Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-290B Motion to reopen for H4 extension

Hi All,

The H4 case for my wife and kid got denied and the decision was mailed to us on Oct 1, 2019. Though we applied for the H4 extension before the H1 expiry date, there was a lot of back and forth due to which the form was accepted only after the H1B expiry date. My H1 extension meanwhile got approved till 2022.

Below is the detailed sequence of events that lead to the denial.

1) Sent the application to USCIS for H4 extension of my wife and kid in February 2019. My H1B was expiring on March 3rd 2019
    2) The application was sent back to me as the filing fee was missing in the packet
    3) We sent it back with filing fee March end (H1B expired by then)
    4) The application was sent back again as filing fee changed withing this timeline
    5) We sent it back with new fee in April
    6) The application was sent back again as they wanted the new form as well, along with new fee
    7) We sent it back with new fee and new form
    8) The application was accepted and we received the receipt number this time. This was in May 2019
    9) Few days later we received a letter to go for fingerprints. We submitted the fingerprints in the given time slot
    9) On October 1st 2019 we received a denial stating that the application with right fee and right form was not sent out prior to H1B expiry (though we sent the form the first time before H1 expired)

By Oct 17th, we filed a motion to reopen the case requesting to approve the H4 visas. We received a letter stating the application is in process and we received a new receipt number (An MSC - Missouri Service Center receipt number).
    My question is, can my wife and kid stay back in the US as the application is in process and because we have a receipt number or do they have to go back to India? If they need to go back, do they have to wait for the motion decision or they can create a new DS-160 and attend the visa interview as soon as possible?

Please suggest. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Santhosh,
    I am in the same situation as yours..Can you please let me know what happened? Can we stay with just the receipt no. Of i290 form?

Thanks Anilkumar Avva

Comment

Hi @SantoshKiranM @saianil.vit, We are in same situation. Could you please share if you heard any update from I290B? Does that change original application status or it will be tracked using new receipt number? I hope this doesnt need travel since case is reopened?

Comment

Hello Member,
        Please see my response below.
        can my wife and kid stay back in the US as the application is in process and because we have a receipt number or do they have to go back to India?
        Answer: They can. But, If your MTR gets denied again then the enter period you were in the USA during your MTR petition pending will be considered as Unlawful presence. So better to leave the country as soon as you can.
        If they need to go back, do they have to wait for the motion decision or they can create a new DS-160 and attend the visa interview as soon as possible?
        Answer: Not required to wait for MTR petition status. You can consider obtaining visa at consulate/ embassy. Once get the visa approval, you can travel back to the country under H4 status.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vijayt123 View Post
          Hi @SantoshKiranM @saianil.vit, We are in same situation. Could you please share if you heard any update from I290B? Does that change original application status or it will be tracked using new receipt number? I hope this doesnt need travel since case is reopened?
          Hi Member,
          If you have MTR case pending, you can track your status with the help of Original petition receipt number( The one get denied). Not with the help of MTR receipt number.
          Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X