H1-B & Extended Foreign Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B & Extended Foreign Travel

Let me preface this post with some context: I'm 24, from England and arrived in the US on a H1-B visa in February. I graduated in August 2009 with a BSc degree in business & IT.

Ok, I love my [new] job. I am, however, planning what I want to do with my life over the next few years. One of those things includes backpacking for 12-18 months. Obviously, my H1-B status would be impacted by such activities. Considering I've already set up a home here and want to become a permanent resident (one day), this is a complicated decision for me.

A few theoretical questions (thanks in advance for any input!):

Could I leave the US in a couple of years and re-enter on my [extended] H1-B?
    If not, could I adjust my status to get an EAD and re-enter with that?
    Or is my only option to file for AOS and plan for extended foreign travel once I become a permanent resident?

Could I leave the US in a couple of years and re-enter on my [extended] H1-B?
    >>> Yes. You can re-enter as long as the petition and visa are valid and you still have the job available for you to join back.

If not, could I adjust my status to get an EAD and re-enter with that?
    >>> Yes.

Or is my only option to file for AOS and plan for extended foreign travel once I become a permanent resident?
    >>> See above answers.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X