Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b renewal with year(s) gap

Hi All,

My first 3 years of H1b is ending this October 2010. I do not want to use the next 3years of the H1b (i.e., renewal) right now, but want to take a break for 1 or 2 years. My questions are

1) Is there any time gap limit to apply for renewal of H1b visa ?
    2) If there is no time gap limit on the renewal of H1b visa, then it does not come under 65,000 CAP ?

All I want to ask is, I do not want to renew my second 3 years of H1b now, but need to take break for 1 or 2 years and then find a sponsor and apply for H1b renewal.

Thank you,
    Ujwal

1) Is there any time gap limit to apply for renewal of H1b visa ?
    >>> No.

2) If there is no time gap limit on the renewal of H1b visa, then it does not come under 65,000 CAP ?
    >>> Renewal or transfer doesn't fall under the CAP. You can use the remaining unused years.

All I want to ask is, I do not want to renew my second 3 years of H1b now, but need to take break for 1 or 2 years and then find a sponsor and apply for H1b renewal.
    >>> If you want to take a 1 or 2 year break, then why don't you apply a fresh H1B which will give you a fresh 6 year period. Renewal or transfer will give you only the remaining period and after that you need to stay out of the country for 1 whole year. And transfer is possible only if the H1B petition remains valid.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Shrevin143 for the quick response and detailed help.
      Much much appreciate this.

1) If i stay 1 year outside US, I can apply for Fresh H1b or renew the existing one. :- this info is clear to me.

2)" And transfer is possible only if the H1B petition remains valid."
      I did not understand this. If a sponsor applies for my H1b renewal then it should be renewed. Could you please throw some light on this.

Thank you,
      Ujwal

Comment

In order to transfer your H1B petition to a new company, the current petition should be valid. You cannot transfer an expired petition. There is not much diference between transfer and a new H1B. They are just some checkboxes that need to be selected or unselected in the form I-129.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X