Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do a COS for an approved H1 (consular processing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do a COS for an approved H1 (consular processing)

Hello Experts,

I am in US with an L1, from A company, which is valid till 2011. I also have an approved H1 petition, from B company, with CONSULAR PROCESSING.

I would appreciate advice on the following:
    1. I do not want to use CONSULAR PROCESSING. Can I do a COS for the approved H1 now?
    2. If yes, then which form to be filed for it?
    3. If #1 is yes then, can a company C file the COS for me, so that it is like a COS and an H1 transfer together?
    4. Am I correct in assuming that if my H1 gets rejected during either 'Consular Processing' or COS, then I still have my L1 as valid?

Regards.

1. I do not want to use CONSULAR PROCESSING. Can I do a COS for the approved H1 now?
    >>> Yes. If it is with the same company which sponsored your H1B, then they just need to file an H1B amendment.

2. If yes, then which form to be filed for it?
    >>> Form I-129. Should be filed by the employer.

3. If #1 is yes then, can a company C file the COS for me, so that it is like a COS and an H1 transfer together?
    >>> Yes.

4. Am I correct in assuming that if my H1 gets rejected during either 'Consular Processing' or COS, then I still have my L1 as valid?
    >>> Yes.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hello Shervin,

Can the new company (C) apply for 'Change Of Status' and 'H1 Visa Transfer' for me even if I haven't joined the payroll of the company that originally filed for my H1?

Regards

Comment

Possible, as long as you are in valid H1B status (Meaning, you have payslips for the time you were on H1B status).
        Last edited by shervin143; 07-02-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Hello Shervin,

Much thanks for your prompt reply. This is my case actually:
          1. I work with company A on L1
          2. Company B sponsored my H1 and I got approved notification. I am still working at A on L1
          3. Company C files for 'Change Of Status' and 'H1 transfer', even though I haven't yet started working for company B - because I am still on L1 with company A

Will I be able to achieve point #3?

Thanks & Regards.

Comment

Possible. When the COS to H1B gets approved, you should stop working for Company A immediately and should join Company C. Your employment with the L1 employer will be considered illegal after the COS.

Comment

Hello Shervin,

Your inputs have been very helpful. Thanks for that.

Recently I filed for change of status from my L1 to H1B. My H1b is with a different company than that of my L1.

My CoS to H1b got approved. We saw the approved status on the internet, but the approval notice paper took 3~4 days to reach us. As we were not sure of the 'Valid From' date, I ended up working for my L1 employer for 4 days after the CoS date. I started working for my H1b employer from the 5th day.

What are the consequences of that 4 day period? And how to make ammends?

Regards

Comment

When a COS is violated, it is possible for the future status to be considered illegal as well. In your best interest, a re-entry using the visa type that you COSd to is the only remedy.

As an alternative, you can assume that the 4 day period would not cause any issues but that might turn out to be a costly assumption.

Talk to an attorney that knows this stuff in their sleep and you will get the same answer.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X