Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-160 question

Hi Gurus,

I am currently in USA and am planning to go to India in Jun-10 for visa stamping (my current visa is expired but the petition is valid). Need some help in filling out the ds-160 form. I have gone through the guidelines for filling ds-160 form on immihelp and has been very useful but I have some confusion.Will really appreciate some pointers on the questions I have:

1. On immihelp, its mentioned to use home address as the place one will be staying in India. So I presume the phone number specified should be of India too. But I am working in USA right now. For Work Number, Should I give my US work number or select does not apply?
    2. I have a specific travel dates to india for this trip. So for the question, Have you made specific travel plans, I should say yes. I know the date of arrival. What should be specified for the date of departure? Should it be the petition expiry date?
    3. My wifes visa is already stamped. Still should I say yes for the question " Are there other persons travelling with you?"
    4. My present company was renamed from A to B. The petition was filed when its name was A. So should I specify A or B as the sponsoring company's name?
    5. Should the employers address to be specified the same as that on the petition or the exact office location from where I am working?
    6. For job duties, Will writing Software Engineer be enough?

Hope to hear a response. Thanks in advance.

Request to senior members of this forum to help me out by answering the questions.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

(1) Yes. Home address and phone number will be US workphone.
      (2) Specify the date on which you will leave india for coming back to US
      (3) If she is travelling with you then say yes. They are asking about travelling in flight, not at Visa office
      (4) Specify the latest name. And go with the documents which specifies A is now renamed to B.
      (5) not necessary. Specify the location, where someone can respond if necessary.
      (6) Whatever designation you have in your offer letter, will be good. If not then Software eng. will be fine.
      [Note:- I am sharing my views, contact your attorney for the best advice]

Comment

1. On immihelp, its mentioned to use home address as the place one will be staying in India. So I presume the phone number specified should be of India too. But I am working in USA right now. For Work Number, Should I give my US work number or select does not apply?
        >>> You can enter the same phone number that you enter in the home phone field in the business phone field also. The address and the phone number should be a local (Indian) number.

2. I have a specific travel dates to india for this trip. So for the question, Have you made specific travel plans, I should say yes. I know the date of arrival. What should be specified for the date of departure? Should it be the petition expiry date?
        >>> Yes

3. My wifes visa is already stamped. Still should I say yes for the question " Are there other persons travelling with you?"
        >>> If your wife will be travelling with you, then YES.

4. My present company was renamed from A to B. The petition was filed when its name was A. So should I specify A or B as the sponsoring company's name?
        >>> Specify the new name. You will need a letter from the company. Read the content of the below link (section: Exception from filing amendment petition)
        https://www.immihelp.com/h1b-petition-amendment/

5. Should the employers address to be specified the same as that on the petition or the exact office location from where I am working?
        >>> It should be the current adress of the employer (just in case, the consulate need to contact them for any questions, they should be able to reach them at the correct address and phone number). If you work at the new location, then make sure your LCA has the correct information. If your work location has moved out of the 35 mile radius, then you will require a new LCA.

6. For job duties, Will writing Software Engineer be enough?
        >>> Go with what is there in your H1B petition. The letter from the company should have the same designation.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

It is confusing. Different people answer differently for the question (1).
          Are we supposed to fill US address or Indian address for "Home Address".
          I think for "Home Address" we should fill US address and for "Mailing address" we should fill Indian address. Isn't it?

Comment

Hi OP,

If your concern is just related to "Home Address" field in DS-160 application.
            Then frankly speaking , it WILL NOT make any difference to your application/interview outcome-whether you fill US address or Indian address.

Only thing you have to make sure for that the address where your Passport will be delivered should be INDIAN/LOCAL ADDRESS.

Thanks and Regards,
            Abhay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X