Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get H1B visa stamped after name split in Indian passport

Hi All,

I need your help in understanding the process of getting visa stamped after name split in Indian passport.

I got my H1-B extension approved (i797) last September and planning to travel to India in couple of months for visa stamping.

My surname in the passport is blank. Due to which most of my US legal documents has name as "ABC XYZ, FNU". Hence I'm planning to apply for a new passport for splitting my name so that I can remove all reference to FNU.

I need clarification on below :
    1. Do I need to amend my approved I-797 to reflect the split name before I go for my visa stamping in India? if yes, what proof I need show for the name split for amendment?

2. I was referring few blogs, they mentioned NO need to amend. The name split can be rectified directly during visa stamping. Just that you need to fill DS-160 with corrected name & new passport #. Go for the interview and submit both passports, and explain the Consulate officer. You will get visa stamped in new passport.

3. Is there any proof that I need to submit/carry even if I go for option #2 (above). How can I justify the name split is legitimate without any proof?

Here are some additional details:

Old Passport Given Name: "ABC XYZ" & Surname: Blank
    Corrected passport will have Given Name: "ABC" & Surname: "XYZ"
    I-797 Name: "ABC XYZ, FNU"
    SSN: First Name: "FNU" & Last Name: "ABC XYZ"

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thank you.

Hi Jassim,

I am in a similar situation now. where you able to get your visa stamped without the amended I-797. Did you have any issues during stamping.?

Comment

Hi MeeraRohit, could you please share what you did in your case ? Did you get the visa stamped ? Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X