Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 to H1 status change

I am also facing similar issue.

My L1-B Visa got expired on May 15'10. But my I-94 is valid till Feb'2011. I have applied for extension. Got RFE. I have responded to the query. Waiting for the decision.
    I have valid H1-B also with another employer but without I-94. My employer says amendment has to be applied to get I-94 in which case my L1 will be void.

Can I still apply for I-94 amendment and change the status to H1B?

One more question, lets say my L1B visa gets rejected, will I get to stay based on my I-94 validity?

Also I would like to know that is there any risk involved in applying for amendment? Like it may get rejected or something?

Early response would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Sher

My L1-B Visa got expired on May 15'10. But my I-94 is valid till Feb'2011. I have applied for extension. Got RFE. I have responded to the query. Waiting for the decision.
    I have valid H1-B also with another employer but without I-94. My employer says amendment has to be applied to get I-94 in which case my L1 will be void.
    >>> That is correct.

Can I still apply for I-94 amendment and change the status to H1B?
    >>> Possible.

One more question, lets say my L1B visa gets rejected, will I get to stay based on my I-94 validity?
    >>> Visa is something that you get stamped in your passport by visting a consulate. You will be returning your I-94 when you leave the country. So when the visa gets rejected, you will have no I-94 with you.

Also I would like to know that is there any risk involved in applying for amendment? Like it may get rejected or something?
    >>> Same risk as filing a new petition or extension or transfer. If you have all the documents that USCIS can request, then you have nothing to worry.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you so much for responding.
      I have one more question.

>>> Visa is something that you get stamped in your passport by visting a consulate. You will be returning your I-94 when you leave the country. So when the visa gets rejected, you will have no I-94 with you.
      >>>>> As I told you, My I-94 is valid till Feb'2011. So will I get to stay even if my visa extension gets rejected?

Thanks
      Sher

Comment

I think you are asking about your petition extension. I am not sure why you filed the extension when you current I-94 is valid until Feb 2011. Usually, extension of stay can be filed only 6 months in advance to the current I-94 expiry date. You can stay until the current I-94 expiry date.

Originally posted by sherali42 View Post
        Thank you so much for responding.
        I have one more question.

>>>>> As I told you, My I-94 is valid till Feb'2011. So will I get to stay even if my visa extension gets rejected?

Thanks
        Sher

Comment

hey thank you so much for responding so quickly.

I think you are asking about your petition extension. I am not sure why you filed the extension when you current I-94 is valid until Feb 2011. Usually, extension of stay can be filed only 6 months in advance to the current I-94 expiry date. You can stay until the current I-94 expiry date.

You are right, I was talking about extension only. My current employer filed extension based on Visa expiry date. So I can stay till my I-94 is valid, even my extension get rejected? Sorry for asking the same questions again.

Comment

Visa is just an entry document. Extension need to be filed only when the I-94 was about to get expired and it can be filed only 6 months in advance. Not sure what your employer is trying to do. Unless specified bythe USCIS, your current I-94 remains valid until it's expiry date when the extension gets rejected.

Comment

Thank you so much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X