Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any extension on expired visa?

Hello,
    My visa was valid till May 23rd, 2020. However, since the country was in lockdown, I couldn't travel. Was wondering if there is any extension on the visa that I could use to travel back? Since, I am eligible for Dropbox appointment, I was wondering if I could courier my documents to the US Consulate or do I have to physically travel to the consulate to hand my documents over? As per this page https://*********.com/us-visa-stampi...ligible-sep-1/ it only says you should be physically present in India. Also it says that a decision will be made in about your case in 7 -10 business days instead of 3 weeks. Wondering if this will be true post covid too? Any idea by when the US consulates will reopen?

1. You need to have a valid on-immigrant visa to enter the US. You cannot travel on an expired visa. Airlines will not let you board as they are subject to penalties.

2. For dropbox, you will need to look up the criteria and process. If you qualify, then you will take an appointment and visit the nearest drop box facility (11 centers across India) that will review your documents and forward them to the consulate.
    No need to physically go to the consulate. However, the consulate can ask for you to come in person if they deem necessary

3. No idea when consulates will open for appointments to the general public.
    However, drop box facilities may still be operating and you can get that information on Dept of State website.
    Timing of visa processing is unknown. Could be 7-10 or 7-10 months depending on the case specifics / more information is needed (221g) etc.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
      If you qualify, then you will take an appointment and visit the nearest drop box facility (11 centers across India) that will review your documents and forward them to the consulate.
      No need to physically go to the consulate.
      Do I have to physically go to the drop box facility or can I courier my documents?

Comment

You need to physically go to the drop box facility
        Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X