Need suggestion for extension of expired I94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion for extension of expired I94

We went to India and entered the USA in 2018 with visa validity till Sep 2020, for my daughter her passport was valid only till 15-Apr-2020 so the immigration officer gave I94 expiry date only till her passport expiry date. I applied for a new passport and got it around the end of Feb 2020 and then COVID-19 started, so we are not able to travel out of the country to get the new I94 for my daughter. Now my daughter I94 is expired, please suggest me the best way to get the I94 extended.

You should never let an I-94 expire.
    Once you obtained the new passport, you had three options:
    1. Drive to the border and get a new I-94
    2. Fly out and into the country to receive a new I-94
    3. File for I-94 extension within the US (most expensive)

If you are close to the border, I would suggest option 1 right away. If not possible, option 3
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I missed tracking the expiry date. I live in Portland, Oregon I can drive to Vancouver Canada border, but I wanted to know do I need a Canada visa to enter and return on the same day. I read in other forums CBP will not update the I94 date for short trips.

Comment

You just need to drive up to the border on the US side. No need to cross over to the Canadian side. Stop at the CBP office and request a new I-94. Costs $6
        That being said, the above advice works for those who have an unexpired I-94. Don't know how they will handle a person with an expired I-94 for over 3.5 months

Comment

Thank you for your opinion. I will go the border on the US side CBP office and request a new I-94, it is just a try will see how it goes.

Comment

Good Luck and keep the forum posted !

Comment

R78 Sorry for the late update. I traveled to the US side Washington Canada border CBP office(I-5, Blaine, WA 98230) and got the new I94 for my daughter. Thanks for your suggestion.

- I parked my car on the Peace Arch Historical State Park, 19 A St, Blaine, WA 98230 and went by walk to the CBP office
              - Due to the COVID-19 border is not crowded, it was an advantage for me
              - Officer asked Why I am here, I said I'm here for my daughter's I94, then he asked her passport and my passport, checked in the system, and asked me to hand over the passport to another officer
              - I waited there for around 20 mins then returned both passports and asked to pay $6 cash
              - Right after that, I checked the I94 status, it was updated with a new entry date

Comment

So glad to hear all went well and posting your experience here surely helps many others in a similar situation.
                Cheers !

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X