H1B to H4 COS efiling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B to H4 COS efiling question

My wifes job is getting over on 30th June. So I am trying to efile a COS for my wife and when filling the I-539, there is a section to fill the passport details, in which it ask, Country of Issuance:

In the
    "Country of Issuance: " drop down we have values like "INDIA-GOA", "INDIA-INDIA" etc, where in my wife's passport is issued from GOA. What should I select here. Also if we fill out I-539 manually then we would just fill as "INDIA", the confusion in efiling is the drop down value of "INDIA-GOA" and more.

Please let me know which one is good efiling/manuall. If I do it manuall the application might reach USCIS after 30th June when my wife's job ends. Will this cause any issue?

Also I understand that if I choose efiling then immediately after I efile, I would get the receipt number and I need to send the supporting documents through mail to USCIS.

Please help and confirm what is the best course of action.

Advisable to do a manula filing. You can attach the completed I-539 and all the supporting documents along with the check for $300 and send it to USCIS processing center.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, if I chose to do it manually then I might be able to send all the application on this Saturday and my wifs jobs gets over on 30th. Only scared, what if the application does not reach USCIS by 30th due to unavoidable circumstances.

Also wanted to know how will I get the receipt number if I do it manually?

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

It doesn't need to reach USCIS befor 30th. You just need to send it before her last day. Send the documents with a certified mail receipt (available in all USPS post offices - It will have the stamp stating when it is posted) and you are all good. You can also track if the package reached USCIS with this option (Online tracking).

USCIS will send you the recipt notice within 2 weeks upon receiving the documents.

Comment

I do not agree with shervin on this one. Application needs to be received by USCIS before June 30. Which means you should go for efiling.
          I don't think the India-Goa thing matters so much.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

What happens if one gets fired on June 29th? How would one send the application that will reach by June 30th? There have been application that are accepted and approved without any issues on cases like these.

Even if the application is posted 3 weeks prior and due any reason it doesn't reach USCIS by the end date, will that impact the approval for no fault of the individual? USPS have certified mails for especially this purpose.

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
            I do not agree with shervin on this one. Application needs to be received by USCIS before June 30. Which means you should go for efiling.
            I don't think the India-Goa thing matters so much.

Comment

Yes a week or a couple of weeks may be the leeway given by USCIS but it is a leeway and it may not be given. You go out of status on the last day of job and for any application the only date USCIS has is the day they issue the receipt, they do not keep track of postmark dates or courier receipt dates. Especially for COS from H1, most times they demand latest payslips which need to be till the last day of your job which must be later than the day they receive the application.
              As for being fired on June 29 without notice, the employer is required by law to provide one-way ticket to home country.
              This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank You

Hi shervin143/kabkaba,

Thanks a lot for all your reply.

In ways I choose to mail with all the tracking info and so on tomorrow, then how would USCIS communicate me the Receipt Number?

I am waiting for tomorrow as Me and my wife would get the latest pay stubs. If I am not able to get the paystubs by tomorrow then I will go for eFiling. Any ways time is the only constraint in either ways

Please clarify.

Thanks

Comment

They will mail the receipt notice to you.

Originally posted by ssbreddy View Post
                  In ways I choose to mail with all the tracking info and so on tomorrow, then how would USCIS communicate me the Receipt Number?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X