Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 visa last name change while residing US

Hi All,

I am on H1B and my son is on H4 visa. His india passport was missing surname so while stamping his visa was issued as FNU, FirstName. I have it corrected in the passport for my son and his new passport has First Name and Surname. my question is:

How do I change name on my son's H4 visa without having to go out of country. Later this year, my son is planning to switch from H4 to F1 visa I want to have name corrected in H4 visa before he files a change in visa from H4 to F1.

I would greatly appreciate if any one could help me with right process or procedure.

Thank you
    Shabbir

I am in US on H1B with my wife on H4 visa. We got married in Jan 2019, however we would like change her last name with my name.

She has valid H4 stamping with her original name (before marriage) until Apr 2021 also passport is not expiring soon.

My questions are:

1. Can I change her name in Indian passport from US?

2. Does she have to go for H4 stamping again after getting fresh passport with name changed? or It can be done in US.

3. What if we do not apply H4 stamping after getting passport with name changed, will create any issue while travelling?

mymilestonecard.com
    Last edited by McLaughlin; 01-08-2021, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Member,

1. Can I change her name in Indian passport from US?
      Answer: Yes. If you need any corrections in the passport, you can do that.

2. Does she have to go for H4 stamping again after getting fresh passport with name changed? or It can be done in US.
      Answer: No need to go for visa stamping again. But whenever you travel abroad, It is better to keep both old and new passports.

3. What if we do not apply H4 stamping after getting passport with name changed, will create any issue while travelling?
      Answer: As I mentioned above, due to name change, you dont require to go for stamping again. When it necessary and at the time of visa renewal, you can correct it in the new visa.

Thanks
      Last edited by rkk09; 12-28-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Hi All,

I am on H1B and my son is on H4 visa. His india passport was missing surname so while stamping his visa was issued as FNU, FirstName. I have it corrected in the passport for my son and his new passport has First Name and Surname. my question is:

How do I change name on my son's H4 visa without having to go out of country. Later this year, my son is planning to switch from H4 to F1 visa I want to have name corrected in H4 visa before he files a change in visa from H4 to F1.

I would greatly appreciate if any one could help me with right process or procedure.

Thank you
        Shabbir
        Hi Member,
        Below is Embassy statement on name change.

"If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States"

But I would say, Some of my well known guys travelled without obtaining new visa and just kept only supporting evidence for the same.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X