I94 after renewing passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I94 after renewing passport

My friend is in the US on an H1B visa which is valid till August 2011.
    Upon entering the US he was given an I94 with validity till July 2010 as his passport expires by July 2010.
    He has received his renewed passport.
    Does he need to apply for a new I94 or can he continue using the current one?
    If not, can he renew the I94 by staying withing the US or would it require him to go to say Canada?
    I would really appreciate some feedback!
    Thank you in advance.

His stay in U.S will become illegal once the current I-94 expires. Extension of stay should have been filed by now since there is only 3 more days for the end of July. The extension of stay inside U.S is not possible once the current I-94 expires. Alternatively, he can leave the country and re-enter back in the existing H1B visa and the new passport which will get him a new I-94 at the POE.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

I94 expired due to passport expiry

Shervin,

Thank you for your response, so the only option now is to leave the country and re-renter?

Has anyone done that recently...do you see any strong chances of him being rejected because of an overstay of 3-4 days?

Comment

He can check with the local CBP post and explain his situation. They might give him a new I-94 card. If that doesn't work, then he should leave the country and re-enter to get a new I-94.

Originally posted by MJ7 View Post
        Shervin,

Thank you for your response, so the only option now is to leave the country and re-renter?
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X