H4 filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 filing

Can I submit a DS160 for a H4 visa 3 weeks before the wedding? As per the DS160 form the marital status has to be set to "married". But as per today's date the wedding didnt happen yet.. so do you guys think this could create any issue? I wouldnt believe so.. but just want to make sure..

thoughts?

Thanks,
    kishore

The DS-160 that you are submitting should contain the information as of your visa interview date. You can still go ahead and enter the marital status as married now if you will be married on the date of the interview.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin143,

I appreciate all the knowledge you have on all the topics discussed on the forum, but somehow not convinced with the reply on this topic.

For example.
      Person A is filling the DS160 form on Sep1 and his/her marriage is fixed on Sep15 and the interview date is on 30th Sep.

Now that Person A is filling the DS160 and mentions status as married on the day of filling i.e Sep1st, he/she is almost 4 week in advance in filling the form and assuming that he/she will get married on 15th Sep as expected. He/She now submit the DS160 on 1st Sep stating that the status is Married.

Due to some unavoidable circumstances if Person A's marriage gets postponed and he/she still have to attend the interview on 30th Sep, then the answer to this question will not be valid.

How can anybody predict the future and fillup the form on just assumptions.

I am not sure but I think the status should be filled as per that date i.e the DS160 filing date. Later that can be explained during the interview, as well the vice versa as you suggested.

@KChandra : Nothing pertaining to you but just discussing this above situation.

Comment

What future are you taking about? If one cannot get married on the date which was finalized (hardly 2 weeks in advance), then no one can help. In such case, the interview need to be rescheduled and a new DS-160 need to be filled. Usually people fill the DS-160 with a marital status as married only after they have finalized the marriage date (printing, distributing invitation..) and when they have already booked their flight tickets. Some people will also have to take their newly wed wife for the interview and they may have a vacation only for 2 or 3 weeks. If they have to wait for the marriage to complete to fill the DS-160, then they will end-up having to extend the vacation for another 1 more month or so depending on the interview schedules or just return back alone with their wife. This is not new. You can check with VFS helpdesk if you are still not convinced. What you fill in DS-160 should contain the information as of the date of your interview. If the information provided in DS-160 has considerably changed from the date on which the application was prepared to the date of the interview, then a new DS-160 need to be filled and the interview should be rescheduled.

People book the visa appointment mentioning their current employer information (appointments are usually booked 2-3 weeks in advance). If one cannot predict whether he/she will still be employed with the same employer on the date of the interview, then no one can book any visa appointments. This is not called as predicting the future. If by chance, the perosn got laid off before the date of the interview then the interview need to be cancelled. You cannot attend the interview just because you are employed when you filled the application.

Originally posted by ssbreddy View Post
        Hi Shervin143,

I appreciate all the knowledge you have on all the topics discussed on the forum, but somehow not convinced with the reply on this topic.

For example.
        Person A is filling the DS160 form on Sep1 and his/her marriage is fixed on Sep15 and the interview date is on 30th Sep.

Now that Person A is filling the DS160 and mentions status as married on the day of filling i.e Sep1st, he/she is almost 4 week in advance in filling the form and assuming that he/she will get married on 15th Sep as expected. He/She now submit the DS160 on 1st Sep stating that the status is Married.

Due to some unavoidable circumstances if Person A's marriage gets postponed and he/she still have to attend the interview on 30th Sep, then the answer to this question will not be valid.

How can anybody predict the future and fillup the form on just assumptions.

I am not sure but I think the status should be filled as per that date i.e the DS160 filing date. Later that can be explained during the interview, as well the vice versa as you suggested.

@KChandra : Nothing pertaining to you but just discussing this above situation.
        Last edited by shervin143; 08-05-2010, 12:14 PM.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin143,

Thanks for the clarification. I know all the complexicity involved in the situation I mentioned, but needed some clarification on the same. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X