No announcement yet.

Can I take a leave between job changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take a leave between job changes?

HI All
    I am in the process of changing my jobs. My H1 is approved with new company. I have given 2 weeks notice to my current employer. I will start at the new employer after 3 weeks. 1 week i want to take off. Is there any issues in that? Would I loose my status for that 1 week? Can it be done?

Originally posted by vasaiboy View Post
    HI All
    I am in the process of changing my jobs. My H1 is approved with new company. I have given 2 weeks notice to my current employer. I will start at the new employer after 3 weeks. 1 week i want to take off. Is there any issues in that? Would I loose my status for that 1 week? Can it be done?
    Honestly: The lawyer from that new company could have answered a question like this one. Don't you ever take vacation at your current job? why Immigration would tell you cannot take a week or a month off between jobs. This decision is between you and your new employee. In order words, you are allowed to take vacation and personal time off under the H1B system as it is case with anything else.
    05/08/20: I-485, I-765, I-131, I-944 sent to USCIS
    05/13 Rejected due to lack of I-864
    05/27 resubmitted with explanation
    06/03 Rejected again-same reason
    06/13 Resubmitted with I-864
    07/07 Lockbox emailed back and ask to resubmit
    07/09 Filings accepted with PD 05/08/20 (nice)
    08/06 Prior biometrics applied to I485
    08/28 Took biometrics for I-765 only
    09/28 I-765's Cards Ordered
    10/02 EAD/AP received
    04/12 Interview Sched
    05/11 Interview done approval on the spot but no USCIS update online

Comment

Originally posted by Tibwa View Post

Honestly: The lawyer from that new company could have answered a question like this one. Don't you ever take vacation at your current job? why Immigration would tell you cannot take a week or a month off between jobs. This decision is between you and your new employee. In order words, you are allowed to take vacation and personal time off under the H1B system as it is case with anything else.
      This is not about vacation at the current company. Its like I will end current job on 4th and Start New job on 14th. I have H1B approved at new job. But These 10 days are not a time off (PTO) from any company. I am concerned about those 10 days and my status.
      I have asked the question to lawyers, waiting for answer.

Comment

Originally posted by vasaiboy View Post

This is not about vacation at the current company. Its like I will end current job on 4th and Start New job on 14th. I have H1B approved at new job. But These 10 days are not a time off (PTO) from any company. I am concerned about those 10 days and my status.
        I have asked the question to lawyers, waiting for answer.
        OF COURSE NOT, you have a valid H1B approval and you start the job 10 days later. People have their H1 approvals and wait months before they can start the new job. no big deal. For instance, My OPT expired in July, my H1b approved in August but I had to wait until October to start because I was not allowed to start working before October 1st due to H1b cap. I was legal all along. I traveled, went to place while I was waiting to start working.
        10/02 EAD/AP received
        04/12 Interview Sched

Comment

Hi,
          technically these days will be considered as out of status... But, Since you got H1B Approved with New Employer, you need not to get worry about these days.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rkk09 View Post
            Hi,
            technically these days will be considered as out of status... But, Since you got H1B Approved with New Employer, you need not to get worry about these days.
            Thanks
            There no technicality on this issue. You don't have to start immediately after receiving H1b. You have a 60-day grace period to find an alternative employer if you lose your job according to the H1b regulation and enforce by USCIS. Period.
            10/02 EAD/AP received
            04/12 Interview Sched

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X