Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about DS-160 form (H4)

Hi,

My wife-to-be is preparing the application for H4 and we have a few questions about the DS-160 application:

1. Are there other persons travelling with you?
    Both of us are planning to travel to the US together after the wedding in India. I already have the H1B stamp, and don't have to go for the interview. Should she include me in the list of travel companions?

2. How can anyone have the original I-129 form?
    (I have a copy.) I don't have the original form with me as I have already submitted the application to USCIS. Am I missing something?

3. Application Receipt/Petition Number of principal applicant
    Is this the 13-digit receipt number on my I-797A notice of action form?

Thanks in advance!

1. Are there other persons travelling with you?
    Both of us are planning to travel to the US together after the wedding in India. I already have the H1B stamp, and don't have to go for the interview. Should she include me in the list of travel companions?
    >>> Yes.

2. How can anyone have the original I-129 form?
    (I have a copy.) I don't have the original form with me as I have already submitted the application to USCIS. Am I missing something?
    >>> A copy of I-129 and original I-797 will do.

3. Application Receipt/Petition Number of principal applicant
    Is this the 13-digit receipt number on my I-797A notice of action form?
    >>> Yes.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, sherwin143. This is really helpful.

Few other questions:

1. Our parents' wedding invitation is in my regional language (Tamil). Should I get it translated to English using an official translator? (We also have our personal wedding invitation, which is in English.)

2. >>> Original I-797 will do.

Is the bottom portion of the I-797 enough? The top portion is with my company's HR. (The form itself says that the top portion should be retained by the petitioner.)

3. How long will the submitted application be on the system before it gets deleted? I am trying to figure out how early I can fill the DS-160 application before getting the appointment. (It might be useful to add this to the FAQ.)

Thanks again.

Comment

1. Our parents' wedding invitation is in my regional language (Tamil). Should I get it translated to English using an official translator? (We also have our personal wedding invitation, which is in English.)
        >>> Wedding invitation and marriage register certificate are required only for the dependent visa (H4). What are you trying to d with your parent's marriage certificate? That is not needed.

2. >>> Original I-797 will do.

Is the bottom portion of the I-797 enough? The top portion is with my company's HR. (The form itself says that the top portion should be retained by the petitioner.)
        >>> No, they will need to hand it over to you when you go for stamping. The bottom portion is just the I-94.

3. How long will the submitted application be on the system before it gets deleted? I am trying to figure out how early I can fill the DS-160 application before getting the appointment. (It might be useful to add this to the FAQ.)
        >>> I don't think DS160 gets deleted. However you cannot update an existing application that you have submitted. You have start all over again or download it to your local PC.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi OP,

If I understood correctly -

(a) You are saying that you have two wedding invitations (one from your parents's side in Tamil) and other in english (from your side).

So you should carry both and make sure that the one you have in English -should look like formal one .Make sure that she has the Marriage Certificate.

(b) For I-797 which you have received (if it is extended one)- Bottom portion will have TWO parts - (i) RIGHT PART - is your I-94 which you should give/deposit to the airlines when you leave US-MUST
          (ii) LEFT PART - is for your personal records - it says that Detach this for Personal records

So make sure that RIGHT BOTTOM PART is handed over while leaving US and LEFT BOTTOM PART is kept with you.

TOP PART is for the company and they keep it.
          You should ask your HR for it -as your wife will require it for her interview

Thanks and Regards,
          Abhay
          Last edited by abhayg4; 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot, shervin143 and abhayg4.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X