Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Transfer

I am looking for some clarification. Here's my situation:

I have been on H1B since Dec 2003. So this is my seventh year on H1B based on a I-140 approval petioned by my current employer. But my employment is in danger now.

If I swith employers now, what does the new company have to do to transfer my H1B? How does it affect the green card process?

H1B transfer is possible. The new employer will have to start the GC processing from the scratch. However, you can recapture the priority date from the current Labor to file your I-485 with the new employer.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for replying Shervin.

My potential new employer has no experience doing immigration matters and I may have to do all of it myself.Do you have any idea how much it costs, what documents are required and how long it takes for transferring the H1B?

Comment

My potential new employer has no experience doing immigration matters and I may have to do all of it myself.
        >>> Advisable to do it through an attorney.

Do you have any idea how much it costs,
        >>> Check this. Recently there is a fee hike for new H1B / H1B transfers (~ $2000). Check the USCIS website to see if your employer need to pay that fee or not.
        http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60839

what documents are required
        >>> http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75721

how long it takes for transferring the H1B?
        >>> 2-3 months by normal process and 15 days by premium.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Great information. Thank you very much!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X