I-94 Expiry, H1 Extension Pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 Expiry, H1 Extension Pending

My I-94 expires on 09/29, and my H1 extension petition(filed on 07/22) is pending. Can i stay beyond the expiry, coz of the pending petition ?

Please advise.
    Last edited by Kudla; 09-20-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: Title.

Yes. But, if the extension gets denied, then your stay beyond the I-94 expiry date will be considered illegal.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      Yes. But, if the extension gets denied, then your stay beyond the I-94 expiry date will be considered illegal.
      How do i mitigate this risk ? I have a contract with the client and i cannot leave the project mid-way. Also, they have furnished the requested client letter for this H1 extension petition. And again, does this affect my GC processing, as my I140 is approved and am waiting on for I485.

Please advise.
      Last edited by Kudla; 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

One option is to convert the processing to premium and get the result within 15 days. It will cost an additional $1000.

You had 6 months to file the extension. The normal processing time itself is 2-3 months. You have just filed the extension 2 month ago.

Originally posted by Kudla View Post
        How do i mitigate this risk ? I have a contract with the client and i cannot leave the project mid-way. Also, they have furnished the requested client letter for this H1 extension petition. And again, does this affect my GC processing, as my I140 is approved and am waiting on for I485.

Please advise.

Comment

One option is to convert the processing to premium and get the result within 15 days. It will cost an additional $1000.

You had 6 months to file the extension. The normal processing time itself is 2-3 months. You have just filed the extension 2 month ago.
          The petition was filed in april, but as we had got a RFE, the response was filed in july. On USCIS, it says they are bound to respond by 60 days which would be third week of sep. The I-94 is until end sep. Even if i go for premium it overshoots my I-94.

Comment

Is this right ?

If a timely extension is filed (i.e. before the expiration of the current status), regulations allow individuals in H-1 status to continue to work for the same employer for up to 240 days while the extension petition is pending at USCIS. A new I-9 form must also be completed in the department in order for the H-1 holder to continue.

Could any of you, please confirm this information?

Comment

That is correct. However, if your extension finally ends up getting denied, then your stay in the country after the I-94 expiry date will be considered illegal. If your total accumulated illegal stay is more than 180 days, you could get upto 3 year ban from entering U.S. If it is more than 365 days, then you could get upto 10 years.

Here is a similar post.
              http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80501

Comment

Isn't this contradictory?

That is correct. However, if your extension finally ends up getting denied, then your stay in the country after the I-94 expiry date will be considered illegal. If your total accumulated illegal stay is more than 180 days, you could get upto 3 year ban from entering U.S. If it is more than 365 days, then you could get upto 10 years.

Here is a similar post.
                http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80501
                If on one hand they say, we can stay for 240 days past expiry and on the other if the stay past expiry is considered illegal, if the extension is denied. Doesn't this sound contradictory? How can we know whether the extension would be approved or denied?

How about, if it is less than 180 days? My employer has spoken to USCIS, and says they have assured a response in another 3 weeks. This would be 2 weeks past the expiry of my I-94.

Comment

Once could apply 6 months prior to 1-94 expiration to avoid such situations. Yes, it is a catch 22 and you just have to live with it, unfortunately.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Can i travel out of USA ?

I got an update from my employer y'day saying they spoke to USCIS and they are saying we will get an decision on my extension petition in another 30 days(Extension petition filed in April, further i had an RFE and my employer had replied to USCIS on July 22).

I have plans for travel in November and i do not know what to do. As my I-94 is expired (End September) and the extension petition still pending, can i travel out of USA ? Is it must for me to be in USA until i get my new I-94 ?

Please advice.

Comment

It is never advisable to travel when the extension is pending with USCIS. You can upgrade to premium anytime and get the result within 15 days.

I got an update from my employer y'day saying they spoke to USCIS and they are saying we will get an decision on my extension petition in another 30 days(Extension petition filed in April, further i had an RFE and my employer had replied to USCIS on July 22).

I have plans for travel in November and i do not know what to do. As my I-94 is expired (End September) and the extension petition still pending, can i travel out of USA ? Is it must for me to be in USA until i get my new I-94 ?

Please advice.

Comment

Consequences?

It is never advisable to travel when the extension is pending with USCIS. You can upgrade to premium anytime and get the result within 15 days.
                        Now, my employer is not so keen on premium processing. All right, It is not advisable to travel when extension is pending. But if one has to travel, what are the consequences?

Comment

Extension of stay might get denied. They cannot provide your an extension (new I-94) when you are outside the country. Even if the extension gets approved (assuming your petition was taken into procesisng before you leave the country) you might get an I-94 with the extension and upon your return you will get a new I-94 at the POE. You have now figure out which I-94 will be effective. Read about the last action rule in the forum.

Now, my employer is not so keen on premium processing. All right, It is not advisable to travel when extension is pending. But if one has to travel, what are the consequences?

Comment

Extension of stay might get denied. They cannot provide your an extension (new I-94) when you are outside the country. Even if the extension gets approved (assuming your petition was taken into procesisng before you leave the country) you might get an I-94 with the extension and upon your return you will get a new I-94 at the POE. You have now figure out which I-94 will be effective. Read about the last action rule in the forum.
                            It seems like if i stay it is illegal(i.e. If the extension petition is denied) and also not staying is not advisable.
                            Last edited by Kudla; 10-19-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

If you leave, it is not illegal. You are not breaking any law by leaving the country. You are just messing up your chances of getting an extension (you may or may not get an extension when you leave the country depending on when the application is taken for processing).

You had 6 months to file the extension, waiting till the last minute is your mistake. Also, there is a premium processing service available to overcome these situations.

It seems like if i stay it is illegal(i.e. If the extension petition is denied) and if i leave also it is illegal.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X